Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

Friday, February 12, 2010


 This biscuit recipe is one I found over at Sister's Cafe that I'd been waiting to try for a long time and a  whole week of snow days was the perfect excuse.  These biscuits were light, perfectly flaky, and had an out-of-this-world flavor!    If you're looking for a good biscuit recipe I suggest you start right here.  

Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:  


2 cups flour
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tbs. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 Tbs. honey

Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Chill 10 minutes.


 In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well-blended.  Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture;



stir just until moist.



Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times.  Roll dough into a 1/2-inch thick 9x5-inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour.  Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope).  Reroll dough into a 1/2-inch thick 9x5-inch  rectangle; dust top of dough with flour.  Fll dough crosswise into thirds again; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness.  Cut dough with a 1-3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 10 dough rounds.  Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 400 degree for 12 minutes or until golden.  Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks.  Serve warm.  Enjoy!  

8 comments:

teresa February 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

great recipe! i want to drench them in honey and devour!

Debbie February 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Looks delicious! I love my biscuits with butter and my husband has to have honey!!!

Julie February 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Oh my, love a good biscuit! Delish :)

Katy ~ February 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

I have a favorite biscuit recipe but I'm going to try this. I like the addition of honey and buttermilk. Thanks for sharing this; it looks wonderful.

SnoWhite February 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

These look awesome!

And... by the way - I'm loving the new blog look!!

Coleens Recipes February 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM  

It seems that I am on a never-ending search for the perfect biscuit. I'm looking forward to trying yours.

Kim February 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

I love what you're doing with your new site. Biscuits sound like a fun thing to make while being snowed in. I bet they were gone in record time though:D They look really tasty!

Mindy February 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

I love these biscuits, too. Especially on a cold day with a yummy soup!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP