BYU Mint Brownies

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

*Perfect  for St. Patrick's Day*
Mint and chocolate together is one of my favorite flavor combinations and this knock-off of BYU's famous mint brownies combines them just perfectly.  Enjoy them as a fun Saint Patty's day treat or for a bit of Cougar nostalgia!  Go Cougs!  

Click here for printable recipe!


BROWNIE:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
2 Tbs. honey
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

MINT ICING

5 Tbs. butter
dash of salt
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
2-1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food coloring
3 Tbs. milk

CHOCOLATE PAN FROSTING

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted


Directions:

1. Melt butter and mix in with cocoa. Allow to cool.

Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add nuts.

Pour batter into a greased 9-by-13 baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool.
(Don't overcook yours like I did.)  :)


2. Prepare mint icing: Soften butter. Add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.


3. Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time (~ 15 minutes) to stiffen the icing.



4. Prepare chocolate frosting: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, 2-3 minutes. Stir in cocoa powder and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring, and then remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar until frosting is thickened and smooth.


Pour and spread warm frosting on top of the layer of mint frosting. Let them cool before cutting.



5. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Donna-FFW March 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

DEE-licious Lara! Love them. Sounds like a cakey Peppermint patty.

Anonymous,  March 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

Yuck Yuck and double YUCK! And I would rather not brush my teeth than use mint toothpaste. I must say I have learned to be very cautious around iced brownies and ice cream served at church parties and wedding receptions. Even the smell of mint makes me sick. But go ahead and eat all you want since I am half a continent away.

Talita March 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

I'd loke to have a piece, please! Looks tempting! Yummy!

Anonymous,  October 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

this sounds absolutely delicious! it's the only BYU mint brownie recipe that i could find that included a recipe for the chocolate frosting (: i can't wait to try it!! thanks!

Anonymous,  December 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM  

I read a comment at one site that putting honey in the brownies was bad or wrong. So I'd spent half an hour looking for a recipe that didn't call for honey. I ended up just settling for this one and it turned out amazing! My family loves them! I would only suggest 1 1/2ing the chocolate frosting as there was barely enough to cover my brownies. And also maybe putting a little more food coloring into the mint icing . . . but that's just me =) Other than that, though, I love this recipe!!!! Thank you so much!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP