Food Storage Friday: Pasta con Ceci (che-chee)

Friday, December 12, 2008

I've gotten on a food storage kick recently, after the discovery of this blog, and so I've been trying to come up with recipes that use only nonperishable ingredients. After we came up with a list of things we thought we'd like to have in the rotation, my mind drifted back a few years and thought of a recipe that my fabulous cousin Melayna made me once when I was visiting. She served a mission in Italy, and she described this as the Italian version of mac 'n' cheese - fast, easy, and universally liked. I called her up this week to get the recipe and we tried it out. It turned out so good that we quickly dismissed Bean and Rice Soup from our list of food storage dinners and added Pasta con Ceci to the collection.

The Cast of Characters



2 Tbs. olive oil
4 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp. garlic powder), finely chopped
1 Tbs. basil
1 tsp. salt
2 cans of garbanzo beans
1 lb. pasta

Here's what you do:
In a large saucepan or stockpot on medium heat, heat olive oil. Saute garlic cloves, or if you're doing this food storage style, 1 tsp. garlic powder.

When the garlic starts to get all aromatic on you, add  basil, salt, and garbanzo beans (chick peas) with all their liquid. Simmer this mixture, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the garbanzo beans get softer. After 10 minutes or so, take a potato masher to this mixture and mash until about half the beans are mashed. You still want to have some of them intact, so don't go crazy here.

Now add dry pasta and enough water to cover the mixture. Simmer 10 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked through.

You're done! One pot, 20 minutes. That's my kind of dinner. And it's tasty to boot! Matt and I gobbled it right up!
Serve with Blitz Bread for a little extra Italian lovin'.

2 comments:

Mirien December 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Karey, Melayna taught me how to make this, too, and we've been eating it for years. I have made a couple of additions that we love: a few red pepper flakes for zip and sometimes I like to add a head of cauliflower, chopped, with the pasta. Then it really is a one pot meal--vegetable, starch, and protein. Of course, cauliflower can't be stored with your food storage, but it's a great addition. Don't tell the Italians, though--they might not approve of me messing with their recipe.

Lara January 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

We made this the other night and it was so good. I was a little nervous that the kids would turn their noses up at the beans, but they all really enjoyed it.

I did double the garlic and basil and it turned out perfect!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP