Polka Dot Cookie Bars

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My eleven-year-old daughter loves baking almost as much as I do!  I often find my recipe books dog eared on the pages where she has found a new recipe to try.  When I checked out the Taste of Home Baking Book from the library she was so excited she could barely contain herself at all the fun new recipes to try.  This recipe is one she found there and decided to make as a gift for her teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week.  Since none of the rest of the kids wanted to go empty handed to school, she was kind enough to share her tasty bounty with the rest of them as well.  I was left with exactly a 1-inch by 1-inch square as my sample, but that small sample was enough to realize that it was a recipe worth keeping.  

The ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2-1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (10-12 oz.) vanilla or white chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in extract.  Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.  Set aside 1/4 cup vanilla chips; stir remaining chips into batter.  Spread into a greased 15x10x1" baking pan.  Sprinkle with reserved chips.  

Bake at 375 degrees for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.  Makes 3 dozen bars.  

Enjoy!

6 comments:

SnoWhite May 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

looks great! I love the new header too :)

teresa May 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

That Taste of Home Baking Book is my bible, I LOVE it! These look wonderful!

Heidi May 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

This looks like a winner at my house! I always find things to make in the taste of home books. I love the look of that header!

Katy ~ May 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Lara, I really like this. I usually have these ingredients on hand so will be able to make them on a whim. Sweetie-Pi is the true chocolate nut in this house, and I know these wouldn't last long around him!

So sweet that your daughter loves cookbooks. I was that way too. What a great bonding time for the two of you.

Kristen May 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

mmm - this look very tasty and kid approved, which is even better!

Coleens Recipes May 22, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

I would love to have these in my cookie jar!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP