Oatmeal Dinner Rolls

Thursday, August 20, 2009

This is a recipe I discovered while visiting my parents a few weeks ago. My Mom loves these whole grain rolls (she substitutes half of the flour with whole wheat flour), because they're still light and soft enough that they don't taste as heavy as other whole grain breads. They've got a soft, slightly chewy texture and the flavor the butter and brown sugar brings to them is unique and delicious! We served these to guests who eagerly gobbled them up and wanted to know the recipe. We were feeling kind of lazy when we made these, so we didn't put any effort into rolling them out or shaping them, but even still they're pretty in their own simple way.


Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

2-1/3 cups water, divided
1 cup oatmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. butter
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. active dry yeast
4-5 cups flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)

Directions:  In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Stir in oats; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 1 minute.

Stir in brown sugar, butter, salt, and remaining water (1/3 cup). Transfer to a mixing bowl; let stand until mixture reaches 110-115 degrees ( I run my mixer to help cool it off). Stir in yeast. Add 3 cups flour; beat well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; (or knead in mixer) and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; shape into 24 rolls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 dozen.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

SnoWhite August 20, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Lara, these look delicious! For as much as I love oatmeal, I've never made an oatmeal dinner role, so these are now on my list. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

Tina Butler August 20, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

I have a recipe for these dinner rolls and i just have never gotten around to making them. Yours look beautiful. I guess I need to try them.

Rachel August 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

I really need to start making my own dinner rolls! I love that these appear to be relatively healthy, b/c my husband and son are big "bread fans" and if they're going to eat it, I think I'd feel somewhat better knowing that oatmeal was one of the ingredients :)

Melody August 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

They look so soft and yummy! I need to think ahead and make these this Sunday!

annalisa August 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

i really like these rolls! they are so good!

Katy ~ August 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

These look perfect! I like that you sub with some whole wheat. Copying and saving!

Reeni August 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

These look so delicious! I love oatmeal in bread and baked goods - it adds such a nice flavor to them.

Mom August 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM  

I made these rolls tonight for company, and everyone one loved them. (I used 1/3 oat flour, 1/3 wheat flour and 1/3 white flour and honey as the sweetener) and they turned out great.

karen November 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Do you really take the temp to see if it is 115 or do you know how long it takes for them to cool down. THanks!

Lara November 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Karen,
Good question. I used to have a food thermometer and I really would take its temperature, so I could easily tell when it reached 115°. Since one of the kids broke my thermometer a few months ago, I just wait until it's hot to touch, but not scalding. You just want to make sure that it's not so hot that it will kill the yeast. Hope you enjoy them! :)

melissa October 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM  

we love this recipe and have made it so many times... and now that I just received a wheat grinder I can try the 1/2 1/2 way as well :) thanks for sharing!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP