Fresh Strawberry Frosting

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hey, everyone! I'm Karey, Lara's sister-in-law, and I'm just here to share a little bit of berry bliss with you tonight! I stumbled upon this delicious recipe about a week ago, and after devouring the cupcakes it was spread upon, and receiving rave reviews from people we shared them with, I polished off the leftover frosting by spreading it on graham crackers. I couldn't leave it alone! And what did I do today? Made it again! So for all you strawberry lovers out there, here's a super easy frosting recipe that just screams summer!

Note from Lara: 
To capture the great strawberry flavor in this frosting, you'll want to go lighter on the powdered sugar.  It will be a runnier frosting...great tasting, but not beautiful.  If you're looking for for a pretty frosting to pipe, then just add more and more powdered sugar until you get the right consistency.  The strawberry flavor will be more subtle. 


Fresh Strawberry Frosting
adapted from Conversations with a Cupcake


Click Here for Printable Recipe

Here's what you need:
5 medium or 4 large strawberries
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
up to 2 lbs. powdered sugar
4 tsp. (or 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.) lemon juice

Start by washing and destemming the strawberries. Then mash them with your hands, allowing the juice and pulp to fall into a mixing bowl.
Add butter, shortening, and vanilla.  Follow with about a cup of powdered sugar. Mix thoroughly with electric mixer.

Continue adding powdered sugar a little at a time and mixing thoroughly until the mixture is creamy and frosting-ish. Add the lemon juice and blend till evenly distributed. The lemon juice really balances the sugar and brings out that fresh strawberry flavor. Now for the important part: Lick those beaters!

Spread on cupcakes, graham crackers, brownies, fingers, etc. I've put this frosting on two cupcake recipes, both with excellent results: strawberry cupcakes, and vanilla cupcakes. (note: the second link is actually for chocolate cupcakes, but there's a vanilla variation below.) The picture above is of the vanilla cupcakes.

I had one verrrrrrrrrrry happy customer.
Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

14 comments:

Arlene Delloro June 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

Just took a stroll through your blog. Great job. Would love one of those evil brownies right now.

Ziho June 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

yummy! thanks for the recipe, I'm an strawberry lover! jajaja

Coleens Recipes June 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

What a precious frosting face!!

redkathy June 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Beautiful baby! And a nice recipe too ;)

MaRiN June 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Sounds delicious, I think I might try it on a chocolate cupcake.

Bonny July 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

This frosting is DELICIOUS! Great job, Karey!

Hannah,  July 30, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

I'm considering making this frosting for my sister's birthday cake. Can you please let me know how much it yields? Is it enough to frost a two layered cake, or should I double the amount?

Karey July 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

Hi Hannah! It should definitely be enough for a two layer cake. I frosted 24 cupcakes, and only used about half. So you should be good with the original recipe. Hope you love it as much as I do!

Hannah,  July 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes!

Hannah,  August 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

The frosting worked great! I only had half of a 1 lb box of powdered sugar (lack of preparing on my part) but the frosting turned out delicious! My father called the cake "the best birthday cake he's ever had", and he meant it too! My grandmother said the slight tang in the frosting (from the lemons) was a really nice touch and added depth to the flavor. This recipe is for sure going to be used again!

Karey August 6, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

So glad you had success with it Hannah! I loved it myself and received rave reviews like you, which is precisely the reason I've made no less than 5 batches of this frosting this summer :)

Lara August 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

I just couldn't stay away after reading all these rave reviews and finally tried some this past week. Cami made a batch of yogurt cupcakes (also from Conversations with a Cupcake) and we frosted them with this. All I can say is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! We absolutely loved the fresh strawberry taste and used up the whole batch within 24 hours.

Katy ~ August 25, 2009 at 4:36 AM  

Boy does this look good!

Anonymous,  May 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

I made this recipe for some cupcakes I made... came out kind of sweet, lumpy (my fault) and runny. I would have liked more strawberry flavor, but otherwise, good job!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP