Layered Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The last few weeks I have found myself neck deep in way too many projects.  One of the things I've been missing out on while I've been so busy is trying out new recipes.  My old favorite recipes have been gracing our table  more and more lately and I am thankful to my "sisters" who have stepped up in publishing their own recipes, so this blog doesn't fall by the wayside.  It's honestly how I envisioned this blog in the first place--all four of us sisters, two sisters-in-law, a cousin, and my mom all taking turns sharing their favorite recipes--and how I hope it to stay in the future.  

This recipe encapsulates well what my family likes to eat on a daily basis.  It's Mexican, oozing with cheese and cilantro, and easy to make.  I envision this one becoming one of those old favorites in the future!
Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and diced (out of sheer laziness I used a can of Costco chicken)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 can (15-oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (4.5-oz.) diced green chili peppers
1 can (10-oz.) red enchilada sauce
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas (no substitutions)
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 container (8-oz.) low-fat sour cream

Preheat the oven to 375°. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and spray with vegetable cooking spray. Saute chicken with cumin and coriander until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the cilantro, black beans, and green chili peppers.

Spread half of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish. Place 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas, and sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the sour cream. Spoon the remaining enchilada sauce over the cheese, and make another layer of tortillas. Layer the remaining chicken mixture over the tortillas.

Cover dish with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
Remove the cover, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and dot with sour cream. Continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cheese melts.

Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kim November 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

I love that you are sharing this site with your family. This enchilada bake sounds delicious. A great family meal :D Have a great Thanksgiving!

teresa November 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

i want to attack this dish headfirst! delicious!

annalisa November 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

i really liked this casserole when i had it! i definitely want it again!

Katy ~ November 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Yummm.... sounds spicy delicious, comforting and so satisfying!

Brittany February 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM  

I just shared this recipe on my blog, thanks! Love this one. http://brittsapron.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-bean-chicken-enchilada-casserole.html

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP