Macaroon Brownies

Monday, March 15, 2010

About six weeks ago, my husband and I decided to swear off sugar six days a week.  I won't lie and say it's been easy and I won't lie and say that I don't look forward to my "sugar day" all week long. (Click here if you want to find out more about our sugar quest).  But on the upside, since we're only eating sweets once a week the quality of our desserts has improved.  I'd been eying the recipe for these macaroon brownies for ages, but always put it off thinking it would take too long to make.  Well, this past Sunday was the day to try it out!  They weren't near as time consuming as I thought they'd be (only about 30 minutes in actual labor plus the baking time) and the end product was well worth the effort.  The brownies were thick and fudgy, the macaroon filling made it taste a little like a Mounds bar, and the fudgy frosting was just to-die-for!  Yum-o-licious!!!!

Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients: 

BROWNIES:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (I didn't have any, and they still turned out great)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)




MACAROON FILLING:
1 package (14-oz.) flaked coconut
1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract



FROSTING:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs. butter
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts (if desired). Spread half the batter into a greased 13x9" baking pan.



For filling, combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla;


carefully spread over batter in pan. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

For frosting, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the marshmallows and chocolate chips; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.

Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Spread over the cooled brownies. Cut into 24 bars.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Melody March 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

The anticipation makes them taste so much better, huh? They look great!

Julie March 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

I think the one day a week sugar is a great idea! I'm sure it makes it that much more awesome when you eat it. The brownies look worth the wait :)

teresa March 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

i've thought about suggesting a no sugar challenge for me and my hubby, but without sugar he might actually die :) good job guys, i bet these make it all worth it!

Debbie March 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

Looks sooo good! I just posted macaroons and now I'd love to make them again to add to these brownies. I recently made your milky way cake and loved it!!!

Kim March 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Wow - I admire you for trying to cut out sugar throughout the week! I'm sure it is much harder than it sounds. The brownies look thick and fudgy, just the way I like them.

Lynn March 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

Mmmm, these sure do sound good! We are trying to be better about eating sweets and baked goods (bread, muffins, etc.) and I agree, it makes it that much more special when it comes time to make something yummy. My biggest problem is that if I see goodies sitting out on the counter, I'll grab one just about every time I walk by! I have to discipline myself just to have one or two when they're fresh, then freeze whatever I haven't given away. Out of sight, out of mind :) Good luck on the mixer giveaway, by the way. If yours is held together by duct tape, it sounds like you would be a very deserving winner!

Katy ~ March 18, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

I think your 1-sugar day is a terrific idea. I've been wanting to do the same thing, but have started more slowly by reducing the sugar I use in my daily coffee or switching to black tea. I don't want to go into a sugar shock, grins. Kudos to you for making the full commitment.

Aaaah, and these brownies do look like a sweet reward. Well done!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP