Chicken Tortilla Soup

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This is a family favorite that we eat often! Feel free to increase the spices to your taste. The ingredient amounts are just a guideline and can be increased, decreased, or added to depending on the tastes of your family. If you're frying up the tortillas, it is a great time to fry sopapillas for dessert. Remind me to post my mom's secret recipe with photos next time I make them! In the meantime, enjoy the soup!


Click here for printable recipe.


Using a large pot, saute the following:

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced

When soft, add the following ingredients:

3 chopped green chilies (or four (4-oz. each) cans)
5 breasts chicken, shredded or chopped
2 cups frozen corn
1 can black beans
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
4 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine (or water)

(If you are using full chicken breasts on the bone, put them in with other ingredients and after 15 minutes remove them. Use two forks to pull chicken apart. Return shredded chicken to pot and simmer additional 45 minutes). Serve topped with shredded cheese and tortilla chips or fried tortilla strips.

To make FRIED TORTILLA CHIPS, cut about 10 corn tortillas in thin strips and fry in heated vegetable oil until browned. Drain, dry and cool on paper towel and use them as a topping on your soup!

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Lara July 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Yum! I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks Trish!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP