Milky Way Cake (no Milky Ways required)

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My sister has been staying with us this summer and lucky for us (not so lucky for my waist line), she loves to make delicious desserts regularly for us. Recently she kept telling me about a Milky Way cake that her roommate always made that she wanted us to try. However, after seeing Melody's beautiful version over at Cheat Day Cafe and Tina's take on Paula Deen's Milky Way cake at Mommy's Kitchen (each containing several Milky Way candy bars melted into the batter) I was convinced that we needed to buy Milky Way candy bars for it.


Finally I looked at the recipe myself and realized that there are absolutely NO Milky Way candy bars in this Milky Way cake and that I already had all the ingredients right here in my house. She made it on the spot. At first I had absolutely no idea why this is even called Milky Way cake, but then I tasted its smooth texture and perfect fudgy moistness and I thought to myself that this cake is absolutely out-of-this-world AWESOME. It may even be the best tasting cake in the whole Milky Way. :)

Tasty, smooth, fudgy, and moist though it may be, I still couldn't take a good picture of it to save my life.

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3 Tbs. cocoa
pinch of salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla

FROSTING:
1-1/3 cups sugar
1/2 + 1/8 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

For cake, cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, and salt. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternatively to butter/sugar mixture; stirring just until combined. Add boiling water, baking soda, and vanilla. Bake in greased and floured pan for 25 minutes at 350°.

For frosting, boil together sugar, milk, and butter for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Pour evenly over cake. (My daughter also sprinkled the white chocolate chips over the top for fun, but the recipe did not call for that).

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Debbie September 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

I am going to have to try this. It looks great. I saw a similar recipe where they made this into cupcakes. Your picture is fine...you should see some of mine. I have no talent in photography!!!

Jessie September 1, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

That looks so yummy!! I love chocolate cakes. I am definitly going to try this cake. Thank you for sharing it and thanks to your sister for making it for you!!

SnoWhite September 1, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

looks like a perfect pot-luck dessert :) Thanks!

Melody September 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

I've got to try this recipe. I didn't love mine so hopefully this one will be a keeper! It looks delicious!

Kim September 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

I came over because they Milky way cake caught my attention. I made the Paula recipe and it does have milky way in the batter, but yours doesn't. Yours looks darker and more chocolately, which sounds great! Mine was more of a caramel flavor and little chewy bits of milky way running through the cake. Very interesting....but I bet both of them are great : )

MaRiN September 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Sounds like a keeper. I can tell by looking at it that I will love it.

Katy ~ September 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

Smacking my lips over that moist, chocolaty goodness! Oh my. Such a temptation. Will have to give in to it, I think!

Nathan Griffin April 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM  

Nice variation, going without the Milky Way bars - didn't know that was possible. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP