Best Sugar Cookie Recipe

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Finally after approximately 4 billion experiments with different sugar cookie recipes, I've found it! The perfect recipe. Not too sweet to add frosting and sprinkles to and without any baking soda, they actually keep their shape during baking. So stop drooling and start cookie cutting!
















(My kids determine a holiday's worth by whether or not they get to make and decorate cookies to go with it. Anyone seen an Abraham Lincoln shaped cookie cutter?)

The ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. salt

2-1/2 cups flour


Using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, cream the butter, gradually add the sugar. Beat in the egg until evenly mixed, then blend in the vanilla extract and salt.

With a spoon, stir the flour into the creamed ingredients, about one third at a time until evenly blended. **LAZY ALERT--to heck with stirring by hand, I just mixed the flour in the mixer and it turned out just fine**.

Refrigerate dough 2-3 hours.

Cookie cut as desired. Bake at 350° for ~7 minutes.















For a fun variation on the normal sugar cookie try this:
















Cut a smaller shape out of each cookie, then place on a piece of parchment paper on baking sheet.

Place a Life Saver or two (depending on the size of the hole) into the cut-out shape.

Bake as usual. Allow liquid to set then remove from pan.















Voila! Stained glass cookies...guaranteed to be the most unique cookies at the party!

This also is particularly stunning as a star shaped cookie at Christmas time.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

jacjewelry February 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

These look delicious! My former boss LOVES sugar cookies, and his Birthday is coming up - these would make a terrific gift!

Deanne February 8, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

That's on my list of things to do this week - make valentine heart cookies. Thanks for the tip on the life savers in the middle. Those look fun!

Donna-FFW February 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

These look perfect for the kids to do, and I bet they are delicious. I have to try the life savers!!! So pretty.

Jo February 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

WOW you make this look so easy... thanks. Will definately be trying them with my budding 7 year old chef in the next few days.

I have been reading your blog now for a while and love it. Keep up the great work.

Take care,

Jo

Karey February 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

I have been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe, so I'm definitely going to try this one. You should post your frosting recipe too :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP