Pear Frangipane Tart

Monday, November 9, 2009

Did you know that you are a pastry chef? You are! Or at least you will be, once you make this tart. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it! This one's sure to wow your Thanksgiving guests!

I found this recipe in the back of a recent Family Fun magazine, and I was instantly drooling over the combination of pear and almond flavors. Weeks later, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I finally dove in despite my fear of the process. I was surprised to find that the recipe had such perfect instructions that everything was incredibly easy! I will type up the instructions verbatim, so I don't mess things up for you!

It's also a very forgiving recipe. I don't have a food processor (just a little chopper), I didn't have unsalted butter (just omitted the pinches of salt), I don't stock unbleached flour in my pantry (subbed half all-purpose, half whole wheat pie and pastry flour - which was divine!), and I always forget to buy parchment paper (the egg wash stuck a little bit, but the crust was fine). Be prepared to put this one in the keeper file once you try it! By the way, a little Googling taught me that it's pronounced "fran-juh-pan".


Click here for printable recipe.

Pear Frangipane Tart
from Family Fun Magazine, November 2009

Ingredients
For the dough:
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour, chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
*be sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cup, rather than using the cup as a scoop!
9 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup ice water

For the frangipane:

1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sugar
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Pinch of salt

For the pear filling:

3 ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears (about 1.5 lbs.) peeled, cored, and each cut into about 12 slices
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Pinch of salt

For finishing the tart:

1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
Sugar for sprinkling
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)

1. Make the dough. In a food processor, pulse the chilled flour and butter with the salt, until the butter is reduced to pea-size pieces, about 7 or 8 times. Pour the ice water in a steady stream through the lid opening, pulsing the processor 6-8 times as you do so. Do not pulse the mixture after all the water has been added (the dough should be dry and crumbly).

2. Place the mixture on a cool work surface. With the heel of your hand, mash it against the counter until it comes together and forms a rough dough. Shape it into a 1/2-inch-thick disk and wrap it in plastic. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.

3. Next, make the frangipane. In a food processor, grind the almonds and sugar into a fine meal. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse in short bursts until well blended. Set the mixture aside.

4. For the filling, toss the pears with the sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Taste the filling, add more sugar if desired, and set it aside.

5. Heat the oven to 425° F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a 16-inch round, rotating it after each roll to prevent sticking. If needed lightly dust with flour as you roll. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes if at any time it becomes warm and hard to handle. Fold the dough in half twice (quarters) and transfer it to a parchment lined cookie sheet.

6. Unfold the dough and spread the frangipane in an 8-inch circle in the center. Add the pears, arranging them in an even layer on top of the frangipane. Fold the sides of the dough over the pears, pleating and tucking the edges as you go.


7. Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle it with sugar. Cut the tablespoon of butter into small pieces, then scatter them over the entire tart. Reduce the oven temperature to 400° and bake the tart in the lower third of the oven until the bottom is brown and crispy and the top is golden, about 40 minutes. Cool the tart for about 30 minutes before serving it warm, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if you like. Serves 8 (or four if you're feeling indulgent!).

6 comments:

Julie November 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

This is just beautiful! My son would love it, he loves pears :)
Speaking of my son, he had a teacher in 1st grade with last name of Frangipane...thank goodness she let them call her Mrs. Fran!

teresa November 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

ooooh, how pretty! you did a wonderful job on this!

Katy ~ November 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Lara, your tart is BEAUTIFUL! Oh my, I am convincing myself that I need to give up my beloved apple pie for Thanksgiving for this gorgeous tart just to wow my guests.

I am in AWE over this. I was thinking of perhaps putting on an apricot or apple glaze to give it a little shine. What do you think?

Lara November 9, 2009 at 5:55 PM  

I wish I could take credit for this beautiful autumn dessert, but alas I have to give the credit to my dear sister-in-law Karey who is a much better and more creative cook than I could ever dream to be.

Karey November 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Yeah, right, Lara! I only show you my good stuff :)

Katy - I think a glaze over it would be perfect, and give it that extra special touch! Let us know here in the comments what you end up doing! I'd be interested to see how it turns out!

Julie - That's now going on my list of last names I'm glad I don't have!! :)

Kim November 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

This looks perfect for Thanksgiving! You did a fantastic job.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP