Tomatillo Chicken Chili

Friday, March 26, 2010

This recipe is from my amazing sister-in-law Mika.  She has always been a much better cook than me, but still has yet to post a recipe here on Recipe Shoebox.  Of course I'm not complaining or anything, since she's a tad bit busy with her 4 kids three and under (yes, there's a set of twins in there).   She sent me this recipe raving about how her girls just devoured it and thought we should try it out too.  Not surprisingly, it did not disappoint.    It came together fairly quickly and it was not as spicy as you might think with the jalapeno and green chilies in there.  In the end my kids were as big fans as hers were.  Thanks Mika!  
 Click here for printable recipe


The ingredients:
 (onion and garlic not pictured)

1 can (11-ounce) tomatillos (or 6-7 fresh tomatillos, with husks removed), quartered
1 jalapeno, halved and seeded
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cans (4-1/2-ounces each) diced green chilies
4 Tbs. vegetable oil (divided)
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. chili powder
2 cans (15-oz. each) navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup orzo
4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
Garnishments (as desired): crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:     (Fresh tomatillos should be easy to find in the produce sections of a well-stocked grocery store.  They look like small green tomatoes with a brownish papery husk.  Remove the husk before cooking with them.)
In a blender or food processor,combine the quartered tomatillos, jalapeno halves, cilantro, and diced green chilies.  Blend until thick and smooth--about 1 minute.  Set aside.



In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the diced chicken in 2 Tablespoons of oil.  Cook until brown, about 4-5 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside. 




In a large soup pot, sauté the diced onions in 2 Tablespoons of oil until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.  Add garlic, sauté 1 minute.  Then add remaining ingredients--cumin, coriander, chili powder, beans, orzo, water, bouillon, and salt.  Add blended tomatillo mixture and chicken.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.  Stirring frequently to ensure orzo does not stick to bottom of pan, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until orzo is done.  Serve hot with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream if desired.  Makes 6 hearty servings.  Enjoy! 

8 comments:

Coleens Recipes March 27, 2010 at 4:59 AM  

This looks delicious, I've been wanting to work with tomatillo's. Thank you (and you SIL) for sharing the recipe.

Heidi March 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

I love tomatillo's, but haven't cooked with them in a while. This looks so yummy.

Katy ~ March 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

I do not think that I have ever had a tomatillo but I sure would like to sample this. It looks delicious, and certainly with all veggies and chicken a healthier choice. Well done!

Kim March 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM  

I'm like that this recipe calls for canned tomatillos. I'll have to look for those because I do have a hard time finding the fresh ones. This looks delicious.

Chef Aimee March 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chef Aimee March 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

I love chicken chili more than turkey chili - mmm!

Mirien April 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

I made this for dinner tonight because I happened to have 7 tomatillos, a couple jalapenos, and an opened package of orzo that needed to be used. Could't have found a more perfect recipe. We loved it! I also added 3 cups of frozen pureed pumpkin I'm trying to use up--no one had any idea it was there. Jessica Seinfield would be so proud of me!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP