Sour Cream Apple Bars

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

For any of you who have been following along on my cooking adventures for long know that I'm usually a nut when it comes to taking pictures.  I usually take pictures of the ingredients and most of the steps along the way.  That's why I'm in such shock right now.  I've made these delicious sour cream apple bars, from Homebased Mom, no fewer than 6 times in the last 6 weeks and I only have a few shots of the finished product.  No ingredient shots.  No shots along the way.  I guess I was just so distracted by how good they were, that I couldn't seem to remember to grab my camera.  So, hopefully this one picture and the sheer number of times I've made these will convince you to try out this easy and delicious autumn apple treat.

Click here for printable recipe.  


Crust:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats (I used regular oats)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

Filling:

1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 tart medium apples, peeled and shredded (I used Granny Smith)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
FOR CRUST:
  In a large bowl, combine softened butter with brown sugar and beat until creamy.  Add oats, flour, pecans, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice and beat until well mixed.
Press 2/3 of crust mixture onto bottom of ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. 

FOR FILLING:
  Combine all the filling ingredients and mix well.  Gently pour the filling over the hot, partially baked crust.  Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the top of the filling and press down lightly.  Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and the center is set.  Allow to cool in the refrigerator before cutting into bars.  Store in the refrigerator.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

teresa November 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

those are some killer looking bars, yummy!

Leigh Anne @YourHomebased Mom November 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

So glad you enjoyed the apple bars - they are divine. I think you have made them more times than I have! Will be trying a cranberry version this week - will keep you posted!

Kim November 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

I'm loving that you confessed to making these so many times! (I get on a roll like that with certain recipes too.) Six times definitely speaks volumes for this recipe. I will have to keep this one in mind over the holidays.

Katy ~ November 17, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

Six times?! Sold! I have all the ingredients to make this. My day is pretty full today, but tomrorrow...well that's a whole 'nother story.

Debbie November 18, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

This sounds like a great recipe. I've made quite a few things with apples lately and will have to try these!

Martha A. November 21, 2010 at 1:18 AM  

Those were really, really good! i made them without the nuts as my siblings are not fans of nuts, but they were amazing!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP