Skillet Pork Chops (or Chicken) with Zucchini

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ever since my sister-in-law Karey started a produce co-op, I've had the challenging quest of cooking with fruits and vegetables that I don't have much experience with...like zucchini. Of course I'd eaten it before, but I'd never cooked with it much until now. Now I'm one of those people who's always got my eyes peeled out for a fun, new way to cook it up. We loved the zucchini soup we made and really enjoyed some zucchini lime muffins (coming soon) and the zucchini sausage quiche, but this one was a little more out of my comfort zone. I'm not a huge meat person and I'm not a cooked vegetable fan, but somehow the savory flavor and the balance of the heavy meat with the vegetables was just perfect. This was definitely a good one to file away into the zucchini recipe archives.

As a quick side note: The kids are finally back to school and I'm ready to PARTY (or maybe just turn up the music and mop up a summer's worth of dirt from my floor)!

Click here for Printable Recipe.


The ingredients:
3 Tbs. flour
5 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 pork chops (about 3/4-inch thick) {I used chicken breasts}
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 medium onions, sliced (I only used one)
1/3 cup water
3 medium zucchini (I only used two)
1/2 tsp. paprika

In a large plastic bag, combine flour, 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt, dill weed, and pepper. Place pork chops in bag and shake to coat; shake off excess flour and reserve.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high; brown pork chops (or chicken) on both sides. Reduce heat. Place onion slices on chops. Add water to skillet; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Place zucchini slices over the onion.

Mix remaining Parmesan cheese with reserved flour mixture; sprinkle over zucchini. Sprinkle paprika on top. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until pork chops are tender. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Katy ~ September 9, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

What a unique combination. I think I'd prefer this with chicken as well.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP