Cooking with Kids: French Bread Pizza

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Every Friday night is pizza night at our house.  Sometimes we order out, but most of the time I make pizza from scratch.  The kids are pretty boring and like plain cheese or occasionally pepperoni.  Glen and I often make Bruschetta Pizza, which is one of our favorites.  The problem is is that sometimes it gets a little boring making the same old pizza every week, that's why I was so excited when I found this recipe from SnoWhite over at Finding Joy in My Kitchen.  It was fun, different, and easy.  So easy, in fact, that the kids could make them entirely themselves after I sliced the bread for them.  It was a hit all the way around.  They loved having control over their own pizza and I loved the little twist on the every day (or every Friday in this case.)  Thanks SnoWhite! 

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients: 
1 loaf French Bread
1 can (6-oz.) tomato paste
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
~1 cup mozzarella cheese
Favorite pizza toppings:  Pepperoni, sausage, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

Directions:  Mix tomato paste and Italian seasoning until well blended.  Slice bread into four thick slices lengthwise.  Cut each of those slices in half to end up with 8 slices.  Top each slice of bread with tomato paste mixed with Italian seasoning.
Add desired toppings.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of everything.






Broil for 4-8 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly (be sure to watch them very carefully to prevent burning).  Enjoy! 

9 comments:

Katy ~ January 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

A fav! So good to be able to create your own.

SnoWhite January 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

oh, how I love these. so much, in fact, we're having them this weekend! thanks for the link!

Kelly - 2 Kids (and a mom) Cooking January 20, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

We love the personal pizza thing too!

Our latest was Persona Pizza Pockets using pie crust and stuffing it with our favorite toppings empanada style :D

Kim January 21, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

I love french bread pizzas. They're so much fun and so easy. They look great!

Mirien January 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

Good choice for a Cooking With Kids recipe. This is one of my stand-bys when Brian and I go out for the night. Picking up a loaf of French Bread (or I usually have one stashed in the freezer) is so much cheaper than ordering pizza! My kids like to put frozen meatballs on their pizzas--like open face meatball subs.

Anonymous,  January 21, 2010 at 3:15 AM  

Great post. I love seeing kids learn to cook.

teresa January 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

mmmm, so easy and delicious. great for the familY!

Julie January 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

Very nice...I'm sure my kids would love this too.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

I just finished eating french bread pizza for my lunch! I'm so glad I'm on your same wave length!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP