Pumpkin Muffins

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hello, everyone! I've been in a fall mood lately, and so I decided to try out this recipe from my Joy of Cooking cookbook, which one of you Crains so graciously gave me for Christmas last year. I'm sorry I can't remember who. I lost track of which present was from whom around present #47. I love Christmas with the Crains!
Anyway.... back to the muffins. I made these on Tuesday for my visiting teachees, and I threw in chocolate chips since they weren't for Matt (no chocolate in 2008). They turned out really good and Matt was sorely disappointed, so I made another batch on Wednesday, this time adding chopped pecans instead. Also good, but let's face it: chocolate always wins. I preferred the first batch. Here's the recipe:
Preheat the oven to 400 and grease or line your muffin tin.
Whisk together in a large bowl:
2 c. flour
1/3 c. white sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
Whisk together in another bowl:
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. canned pumpkin
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 c. butter, melted (depends when you're serving them: hot from the oven? use 1/4. hours later or overnight? use 1/2)
1 tsp. vanilla
Add to the flour mixture and mix together with a few light strokes just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Don't overmix. It shouldn't be smooth. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 17 minutes. My oven runs pretty hot so they were perfect at 375 for 15 minutes.
You can add 1 c. chocolate chips or 1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans or anything else you think sounds good. I might try Craisins sometime.

Now, what to do with that leftover pumpkin? I decided to make pumpkin dip, or as Matt calls it "Pumpkin Frosting". I think dip sounds healthier, so I'm going to stick with that. Here's what I did. I threw the following in a bowl: leftover pumpkin, 8 0z. package cream or neufchatel cheese, about 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 2 tsp. milk, 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg, and some vanilla that I poured in, can't tell how much :) Then I mixed it up. Very complicated. We've dipped apples, graham crackers, and surprisingly enough, Wheat Thins are delicious. Cuts the sweet a little. YUM!

3 comments:

Lara October 23, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Thanks Karey! We'll be trying this recipe out very soon...these sound yummy!

Lara October 28, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

Hey Karey! Fun pictures!

Melissa Beckley April 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM  

These are a favorite here!! I had to make them tonight even though it's not "pumpkin season" My 9 yr old BEGGED me to make them to take to school for her Birthday treat!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP