Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon-Brown Butter-Pecan Topping

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Before moving to the DC area 14-years-ago, I was a Minnesota girl.   I used to scoff at 40° weather and laugh when I heard about people who didn't know what it felt like to have their nose hairs freeze together.  But all that's changed now.  I guess you could probably call me a wimp now.  

In Virginia, autumn is a long, glorious season with most days in the 50's and 60's.  The streets are lined with tall beautiful oaks and maples ablaze with color that make even driving around the DC beltway a scenic drive this time of year.  But despite the beauty and the comparative mildness of DC autumns, every morning I wake up wishing I could snuggle under the covers a little longer.   I shiver my way to the shower and bundle up in sweatshirts and jackets until it starts to warm up in the afternoon.  One thing that gets me warmed up a little faster though is a good hearty breakfast--like these pumpkiny pancakes!    I love the slight chewiness and tang that the ricotta cheese adds to the flavor and the brown butter topping is out-of-this-world!    It'll warm you right up and thaw out those nose hairs in no time!  :) 

 Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:

TOPPING: 

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

PUMPKIN PANCAKES:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (we used 100% whole-wheat flour)
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1-1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta cheese

FOR TOPPING:  In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.  Add the maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Remove from the heat; stir in pecans.  Set aside.

FOR PANCAKES:  In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pumpkin, and cheese.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. 


Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle, turn when bubbles form on top.  Cook until the second side is golden brown. 

Serve with brown butter/pecan topping.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

Holly November 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

LOL! I'm a former midwestern girl myself-now in the pacific northwest:) These pancakes sound amazing!!

Dinetonite November 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Oh my goodness! These look super yummy. We are so having these this week! :) Thanks for the recipe.

heidihana November 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Mmmmm. I can't wait to try this one, Lara! Your frozen nose-hair description of MN winters brings back many memories of walking to school in that stuff. I remember wearing flats with no socks, feet drenched to numbness from the slush puddles I'd stepped in-slave of fashion that I was then ; )

Kim November 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

The DC area certainly is beautiful...all the more reason to come visit you for breakfast :) These pancakes look fabulous. I've been wanting to try them with ricotta and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Judy November 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

We moved to eastern NC from the mountains of NJ, so I understand. Right now I'm freezing and it's only high 50's outside, which used to feel like spring. Anyway, love your pancakes.

teresa November 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

we lived in mn too, i've been quick to forget how hard those winters are.

pumpkin pancakes sound so great! i have a little shoutout on my blog for you!

Anonymous,  November 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

These look SO good with such good wholesome ingredients. (I use the same real maple syrup from Costco and love it). Love the idea of whole wheat flour. I have everything on hand except the ricotta cheese and am going to see what I could substitute this morning for my family. Anxious to try this! PS ~ Virginia sounds beautiful!

Katy ~ November 17, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

YUM YUM YUM I just took out a book from the local library on Super Foods, and pumpkin is listed among them. What a perfectly wonderful way to joy this super food!

R,  November 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM  

Made these today and loved them.

dixie December 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

i made these for my family thanksgiving morning! they were wonderful!! thanks for a great recipe to add to my book!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP