Flourless Chocolate Cake (my new favorite chocolate cake recipe!)

Friday, November 5, 2010

We don't actually have anyone in our immediate family who is allergic to gluten, but no matter--this   chocolate cake recipe (from my friend Mirien at Mirien's Kitchen) is simply the best I've ever made.  I've been asked for the recipe time and time again and no one can believe that it contains absolutely no flour and instead is made with 2 cans of garbanzo beans.  It's got the perfect texture and just the right amount of moisture (my big beef with most other cakes) and we thought it was even better than the gourmet chocolate cupcakes we bought from a bakery.  We've made this into cupcakes, single layer cakes, and my sister-in-law even used it to make a 17-layer cake (check out the picture at the bottom of the post)!   You simply need to try this totally gluten free recipe to believe it! 
Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:


CAKE: 
1 package (12-ounces) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

2 cans (15-oz. each) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
6 eggs
1-3/4 cups sugar
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:    In a small bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 2 minutes on 50% power, stirring frequently until smooth.  In a blender, blend the beans and eggs until creamy.
 

Add remaining ingredients, including the melted chocolate and blend well.  If your blender is not big enough, pour into a bowl to mix.  Put batter into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan (NOTE: if you're making this cake for someone who is gluten intolerant then do NOT flour the pan with flour.  Use a little cocoa instead.) and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick in center comes out with moist crumbs--DO NOT OVERBAKE.  For cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes.  When cool, frost with chocolate frosting. 




Check out this 17-layer version my sister-in-law made for her sister's 17th birthday!  

Enjoy!

9 comments:

TheFitHousewife November 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

Those look soooooo good, I'm drooling! And that 17 layer cake? WOW. To die for I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing.

Arlene Delloro November 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

What a different recipe! Who'd ever think to put ceci in a cake. Your SIL must have a lot of patience; that is some layer cake.

Anonymous,  November 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

Let me start with the 17 layer cake... WOW! This recipe looks SOOOO good. I am definitely giving this a try very soon. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

teresa November 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

what a fun treat! i love that it's made with beans, i can't wait to try this!

Cindy,  November 16, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

I made these this weekend. They were a big hit. My husband has put them in his file of unresistable desserts. Thanks for the recipe.

Mirien November 23, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

Lara, I'm so glad this recipe is a favorite with your family, too! But, holy cow, Karey--17 layers??? Remember, Alyssa is just 6 weeks younger than Kelly and now you've put the pressure on me to create one of these for her!

KT March 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

How many cupcakes does this make? If I only want 12 cupcakes, should I halve the recipe?

Thanks. I can't wait to try them!

Beth,  March 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

Just a tiny detail... If you're going for gluten free, I don't recommend greasing and flouring the cake pan :) Looks like a great recipe!!

Amy & Mike June 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

I made this over my weekend for a family gathering with my Brother-in-law who has Celiac's. The cupcakes were so easy to make and super yummy! I will be making these again! Made 21 cupcakes.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP