BBQ Chicken and Cheddar Sandwiches

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

 These great summery sandwiches came together quickly and were totally devoured by the whole family.   We tried these with 1/2 chipotle pepper this time, but I think next time we'll just skip them all together.  Having to open a can for only 1/2 pepper just wasn't worth the flavor, especially when my family loves BBQ sauce by itself! 
I don't know about anyone else, but I am loving this awesome spring weather and am looking forward to summer break in 6 weeks almost as much as the kids!   This time of year is SO crazy with the kids' sporting events and end-of-school activities. 

Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:
4 strips bacon, halved crosswise
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 lbs)
salt and pepper
1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/2 chipotle pepper, minced (optional)
1/4 cup water
4 large onion rolls, split (we used onion hamburger buns)
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Fry bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.  Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.  Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.  Cook chicken in bacon fat until browned on one side, about 4 minutes.  Flip chicken and add barbecue sauce, chipotle pepper (if desired), and water.
Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
Remove chicken from skillet and slice into bite size pieces.  Arrange onion rolls cut side up on baking sheet.  Divide chicken among bottom haves of rolls and top with sauce, cheese, and bacon.
 Bake open-faced sandwiches in oven until cheese melts and rolls are golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Top each sandwich with toasted roll top.

Serve immediately with a fruit smoothie on the side.  Makes 4 sandwiches.  Enjoy!

14 comments:

Anonymous May 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

This sounds SO good for something so easy!! A great after-work weeknight meal. Thanks for posting!

Kim May 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

I bet the bacon lends a great smoky flavor to the sandwiches. Like you, I am really looking forward to summer break and sleeping in!

FoodontheTable May 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

This looks great! I really like the idea of cooking the chicken in bacon - gives it a great flavor.

Megan May 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

Those looks very yummy and easy! I am adding them to my menu! Thanks!

Julie May 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

These sound super; I'll bet they are especilly good on those buns!

Libby May 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Step by step directions and pictures, yup! I'm your newest follower, thanks!

MaRiN June 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

We had these for dinner last night and the family loved them! I skipped out on the chipotle pepper and they still had lots of flavor!

Unknown October 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

Looking tasty! Your cool recipe, BBQ Chicken and Cheddar Sandwiches, is very appealing to kids. I like the idea so much. Since my husband just received a gift from my mother-in-law, brand new gas barbecue accessories, we had a wonderful barbecue party yesterday. The pork barbecue that my husband cooked turned out a hit so we received superb bbq reviews from the guests. Isn't it amazing? Well, I'm really grateful for this recipe. I'll add this one to my collection of BBQ recipes at home.

Mika,  January 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

This is pure heaven.

Rebekah June 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

I am totally drooling, and starving now! :D These sound perfect!! :)

Laura August 8, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Lara, I just made these for my new husband... our favorite yet! Thanks so much for this amazing website- i get most of my dinners from this blog! You rock. seriously, i look up to you like crazy!

Kristen February 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM  

These look so yummy! I will definitely be adding these sandwiches to my list of recipes to try... You have some great recipes on your blog. I would love if you would check out my blog at www.chickyscafe.com

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP