Cooking with Kids (Halloween): Chocolate Mice

Thursday, October 15, 2009


This fun idea for Cooking with Kids came from my sister-in-law Karey's aunt Pat (got that?) who emailed me several weeks ago with some pictures. She had made them as a cute treat for a wedding she helped with and thought they would be fun for us to try and boy was she right! The kids had a fantastic time making these for Halloween and thought they were the cutest little treats EVER! They did end up a little on the messy side, but that didn't stem the kids' enthusiasm in the smallest degree. They'd be cute for a kids' party too. Click here to see some of my other fun Cooking with Kids ideas. Thanks Pat for a great idea!

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:



Hershey Kisses
1 jar maraschino cherries
Dipping chocolate
slivered almonds
Frosting in contrasting color (so it'll stand out on the chocolate)

Melt dipping chocolate by placing in microwave for 90 seconds, taking care to stir well every thirty seconds.



Holding maraschino cherries by the stem, dip the cherry into the melted chocolate making sure you cover the entire cherry.





Dip the very bottom of the Hershey Kisses into the melted chocolate quickly attaching them to the dipped cherries.

Place cherry and kiss combination on wax paper and place the almond ears before the chocolate is set (the ears were too hard for the kids, so I had to help them and even I wasn't too successful at making them look nice).

After chocolate is set (you can place them in the fridge to speed up the process) pipe frosting "eyes" and "nose" onto each little mouse. You may need to use a toothpick to assist you in this process. Better put away the cat while you eat these cute little fellows!

If all that chocolate didn't give you enough of a sugar rush, then you may want to consider drinking the maraschino cherry juice to give you a jolt.

Enjoy.

9 comments:

Kim October 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

What a cute post. I loved the bit about drinking the cherry juice for an extra jolt :D Very cute. I haven't seen the chocolate mice before. They are adorable!

SnoWhite October 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

these are super cute! you have such wonderful, fun ideas.

Charlene October 15, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

this seems fitting in my situation right now!!LOL!!

teresa October 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

these are adorable! how fun!

The Double Dipped Life October 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

What a fun idea! I'll have to try this. Thanks!

Karey October 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Blogging makes the world so small :) I'm glad my aunt's idea was a hit!

Julie October 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

Love those mice...too cute!

Anonymous,  October 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

Those are so cute! I bet they would be fun for Christmas too. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP