Maple Muffins

Thursday, May 28, 2009

These muffins are perfect for either a hearty breakfast or a fun dessert. They're soft, moist muffins with a yummy crumb topping. I didn't have any maple flavoring, so I tried it without. They were still good, but the maple flavor definitely would have had a stronger presence with the extract in there. This recipe is extra cool since it is from a cookbook that I won from a giveaway from Harmony over at Wholesome Feasts. It was the first time I'd ever won anything from the internet and I've been having fun trying out all these fun new recipes. You'll have to be sure to go over to Wholesome Feasts and check out all of her ideas and recipes.

The ingredients:

MUFFIN:

2 cups flour (I used part whole wheat)

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sour cream

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. maple extract (optional)

CRUMB TOPPING:

3 Tbs. flour

3 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbs. butter


TOPPING DIRECTIONS: Combine flour, sugar, nuts, and cinnamon; mix together with fork. Using pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in butter until crumbly.

MUFFIN DIRECTIONS: In large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In another bowl combine milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Prepare topping; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

MaRiN May 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Hi- new to your blog. You have lots of fabulous recipes I'm eager to try. The marbled chocolate cheescake bars are calling my name!

Katy ~ May 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Lara, I'll bet these were scrumptious! I love maple flavor so I know that I will just HAVE TO HAVE
one (or two or....LOL). Delicious post!

teresa May 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

Oh yum, these look like they are full of flavor!

Coleens Recipes May 29, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

Thanks for posting this recipe, we love maple around here.

Jessie May 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Those looks so amazing!! I love maple flavoring in things. I am definitely going to have to try these!!

Kristen May 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

I think I know what I'm baking for breakfast tomorrow! Yum!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP