Super Easy Tostadas

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Necessity is the mother of invention and this mother here is always in need of something in the kitchen.  No matter how carefully I plan my menu each week, there always comes a day when I'm out of something I need for making dinner.  One time I was hurriedly making tacos for dinner and realized we didn't have taco shells.  Luckily we did have tortillas, but since the kids aren't fans of soft tacos I was left in a quandary on how I could get this dinner onto the table pronto!  That's when "Super Easy Tostadas" were born.   I just crisped up the tortillas (two options listed below) and added a layer of refried beans to hold all the toppings on the shell.   My family was happy with the yummy new dinner and I was happy to add a fun new creation to the quick dinner arsenal.


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:
1 can refried beans
3/4 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 pkg. taco seasoning
6 flour tortillas
favorite taco toppings:  shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, black beans (drained)

Directions: 
You have two options for cooking the flour tortillas into tostada shells:

Option #1
 results in a super easy, crisp plain tostada shell:  Heat oven to Broil and place tortillas onto a baking sheet.  Broil until tops are crisp and brown (you will have to watch them VERY closely.  This step usually takes 2-3 minutes at most.)  When tops are brown, remove from oven and flip the tortillas.  Place back in the oven and remove as soon as they are brown and crispy.  The second side generally takes a minute or less, so be careful not to leave them unattended.  Note:   They will bubble up while broiling.


Option #2
 takes a littler longer, but ends up less crisp and tastier:  Preheat a griddle and grease with a stick of butter.  Add tortilla and cook until the bottom is lightly browned and slightly crisp, then flip.  Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the browned side of the tortilla and cook until bottom is browned and cheese is melted.
 



Cook tostada shells and set aside.  Brown meat and season with taco seasoning as directed on package (mine says add 3/4 cup water and seasoning packet and simmer).

Layer each tostada shell with refried beans as the base layer (this gives all the rest of the ingredients something to stick to, so it won't fall off the shell as easily.)  Then top with meat and favorite taco toppings.  Makes 6 tostadas. 

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Sook January 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

That does look tasty and awesome!

Coleens Recipes January 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

This sounds like a GREAT "go to" meal. I could eat this ANY day of the week.

Katy ~ January 15, 2010 at 5:11 AM  

Excellent! Do you just love knowing about other cuisines? It helps to expand kitchen creativity. I never would have thought of this.

Lyndas recipe box January 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

Love the tostadas...my family loves them!
Yay, for creative moms!

teresa January 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

My kind of meal, it looks delicious!

Julie January 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Those look great...I love tostadas!

MaRiN January 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

I seriously made this exact same meal the other night- we even used the same brand of ingredients, so I had to laugh. It was quick and simple and the kids loved it. I'll be making these more often!

Kim January 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

I'm always missing ingredients for recipes too. I find myself trying to throw things together alot, which can sometimes be fun and other times no so much :D Great thinking with the tostadas. They look great.

I'm happy to hear that you tried the thin crust pizza dough and liked it. I thought the dough was really easy to work with.

MaryMoh January 17, 2010 at 3:06 AM  

Haven't tried that. Looks very delicious. I'm sure it's fun to make and fun to eat too. It something like eating Peking Duck. I have to try this.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP