Lemon-Tomato Pasta Al Fresco

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

If you're looking for a pasta dish that is fresh and different, then this simple dish is the one for you.  I loved the zesty lemon flavor and I loved that it's a great way to use up all those fresh tomatoes that are so plentiful and inexpensive right now.    If you can't find pine nuts at an affordable price, try it with toasted walnuts instead.   The kids loved this one as they do with most pasta dishes.  (Only one more week until school starts now!  Not that I'm counting down or anything.) ;) 

 Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 lbs. plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 lb. bow-tie pasta or ziti
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
2-3 cooked chicken breasts, diced and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnishment

Directions:  Whisk together oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, and pepper in a large serving bowl until blended.

Add tomatoes and parsley.

Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours (I only waited 1/2 hour).


Shortly before serving, cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until al dente, firm but tender.  Add onion during last 2 minutes of cooking.

Drain well.

Add pasta to sauce in serving bowl; toss to mix.  Top with cooked chicken and scatter on pine nuts.  Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese if you wish.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

Lynn August 31, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Yummy, Lara, this sounds outstanding. I'll bet the lemon in this is wonderful. I make a roasted tomato soup that has orange rind in it, and it adds such a nice zip. I'm going to print this one out and hope to try it soon :) So far our home-grown tomatoes have been a little sparse because our weather's been cooler than normal this summer. But we're expecting some hot days coming up, so I'll be trolling around my tomatoes, looking for red ones.

Kim September 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Sounds like your kiddos get a really long summer! (Mine went back first of August - way too early). I hope you enjoy your time with them before school starts.
This does sound like a wonderful meal to use up all those summer-ripened tomatoes!

FoodontheTable September 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

Looks so fresh and summery! What great flavors.

Julie September 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

I just love lemoney dishes like this. The pine nuts in there sound great.

teresa September 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

oh my gosh how yummy! i would have to use a really big spoon because i know i'd be gobbling that up!

Debbie September 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Oh does that dish look delicious. Such a nice twist on pasta with the addition of lemon. I would love to give this a try!

Kristen September 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

this looks so fresh and tasty!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP