Zucchini Soup

Friday, August 14, 2009

I love fresh food straight from the garden, but alas I have a shady yard that will barely even grow grass, yet alone a bounteous garden. Over the eight years we've lived here in our home though I have found a little sunny spot in our front yard in which we've planted carrots, peppers, fresh herbs, and strawberries. Although it is a small space, my kids are in love with our tiny little garden. They run out there every day to check on the progress, to water it, and even occasionally they'll help me weed it without complaining.

Due to the miniature size of our garden, in the past I've mostly been consigned to buying in-season fruits and vegetables from the grocery store. Recently though my sister-in-law has started a produce co-op that totally ROCKS! She gathered a big enough group to be able to purchase in large quantities from a produce wholesaler. So now we get a wide variety of produce, at wholesale price, and we get to try things we've never tried before. Thanks Karey!

Zucchini is one of those things I think I'd heard too many jokes about. Why, when everyone always tries to get rid of it, would I ever want to purchase zucchini? However, one recent week after the co-op distribution, I suddenly found myself with the proverbial plethora of zucchini that everyone teased about and I was one of those people frantically searching for creative recipes to use them up. This Zucchini Soup recipe I found over at Sister's Cafe was DELICIOUS! My kids gobbled it up without complaint and we all went back for seconds. I made it again for my family in Utah and they also loved the simple, healthy, vegetarian meal. It's actually convinced me to BUY some zucchini on purpose so we can try this again.


The ingredients:
Click here for Printable Recipe.


1 cup chopped onions
2 Tbs. butter
3 cups sliced zucchini
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half
Garnishments: Grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, crumbled bacon

In a large cook onions in melted butter until tender. Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender (about 15 minutes). Add salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Pour mixture into blender and puree it. Stir in half-and-half (or milk). Return to saucepan and reheat, but do not boil. Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream, and crumbled bacon. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Renee August 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

You could aslo use an immersion blender right in the pot. One less thing to clean up. I found mine really cheap at Costco. Can't wait to try this one.

Lyndas recipe box August 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

This soup looks delicious; sounds perfect for a nice light lunch or dinner!...I tried to grow zucchini this year, but it died, so I've been buying it too.

Coleens Recipes August 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

I've used zucchini a lot of different ways, but I never thought of a soup...very clever.

SnoWhite August 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

I've been looking for a zucchini soup recipe!! Thanks.

Anonymous,  August 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Can you believe I used to dislike zucchinis? Crazy, right? now I could just about dive into that gorgeous soup!

Heidi August 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Sounds like a great way to use my zucchinis!

Melody August 15, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

A patient at my work just brought me a HUGE zucchini today. I was wondering what all I could make with it. This is definitely in the running....

Katy ~ August 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Lara, what a perfect year 'round soup! LOL about the free zucchini; I have to buy it too. Saving this; it looks DELISH!

Julie Roper,  August 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

Lara, even though I've moved away, you continue to amaze me from across the country. I got the email about your blog, and have enjoyed several delicious recipes. I can't wait to try the soup! I have my share of zucchini to use up. We had zucchini waffles a few days ago, and they were actually a hit. Thanks for passing along your family-friendly recipes!

Lara August 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Renee, Thanks for the great idea on the immersion blender. I've seen the demonstrations at Costco before, but never even thought of using it for something like soup. I think I'll start hinting now for one for Christmas! Kristina told me that next time I come to CA I'll have to give you a call! :)

Julie, I'm so happy to hear that you've been enjoying the recipes. You can see I have a fun time doing this. My family used to laugh at me for always taking pictures of my food, but now they realize how good blogging has been for variety in our menu. I hope things are going well for you...we miss you here in Virginia!

Lynn August 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Yum, this does sound delicious, and really simple. Great combination :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP