Ranch Mac & Cheese

Monday, February 15, 2010

Most winters we sit around and wonder where all the snow has gone.  This winter, after over 3-feet of snow in one week, I am beginning to wonder if DC has been transplanted back to my home state of Minne-snow-ta!   Brrrrr....it's cold around here!  After being housebound for a few days while we shoveled out, we have been in need of some good old fashioned comfort food and this flavorful mac & cheese from a Taste of Home magazine was just perfect.  It was quick and easy to put together and everyone loved it.  

Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:
1 pkg. (16-oz.) elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. garlic pepper blend
1 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Colby cheese
1 cup (8-oz.) sour cream
1/2 cup crushed saltines
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the milk, butter, dressing mix, and seasonings; heat through.  Stir in Monterey Jack and Colby cheeses until melted.  Stir in sour cream.  
Drain macaroni; stir into cheese sauce.  Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with crushed saltines and Parmesan cheese.  (We served it up with Mom's Roasted Cauliflower sprinkled over the top too and loved it!) Serves 8.    Enjoy!


SnoWhite February 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Looks tasty!

I'm sure all the snow makes you miss MN ;-)

Melody February 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

YUMMY! I love homemade mac and cheese. This variation looks awesome!

Chef Aimee February 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

I love twists like this on mac and cheese! MMM! Ugh, we are getting more snow here in NY tonight. I am DONE! I want spring...I want pasta salads, grilled chicken, and lots of asparagus! I am done with winter...after this mac and cheese, of course! :)

Moogie February 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

Super yum with the Ranch seasoning.

teresa February 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

hey, check out your blog, it looks great! this mac and cheese looks wonderful too, perfect for this relentless storm!

Kim February 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

It really is insane all the snow that DC got this winter. The monuments and everything look so pretty though. I like that this mac and cheese doesn't have the flour base. I bet it was really creamy and delicious. Just what you need when you come in from shoveling.

Katy ~ February 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Nice twist with the ranch dressing. Sounds very good.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Mindy February 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

I have been craving mac and cheese lately. In fact, I bought elbow macaroni last week thinking I was going to make it. I love the idea of using ranch in it... ranch makes everything better, doesn't it! I'm going to bookmark this for sure.

Julie June 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

We had this for dinner tonight (along with the roasted cauliflower) and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Glenn brought home a FHE lesson he found online a few weeks ago, and there at the top was your name! We've been working on eliminating "garbage words" here at our house- thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP