Ranch Mac & Cheese

Monday, February 15, 2010

Most winters we sit around and wonder where all the snow has gone.  This winter, after over 3-feet of snow in one week, I am beginning to wonder if DC has been transplanted back to my home state of Minne-snow-ta!   Brrrrr....it's cold around here!  After being housebound for a few days while we shoveled out, we have been in need of some good old fashioned comfort food and this flavorful mac & cheese from a Taste of Home magazine was just perfect.  It was quick and easy to put together and everyone loved it.  



Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:
1 pkg. (16-oz.) elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. garlic pepper blend
1 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup (4-oz.) shredded Colby cheese
1 cup (8-oz.) sour cream
1/2 cup crushed saltines
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the milk, butter, dressing mix, and seasonings; heat through.  Stir in Monterey Jack and Colby cheeses until melted.  Stir in sour cream.  
Drain macaroni; stir into cheese sauce.  Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with crushed saltines and Parmesan cheese.  (We served it up with Mom's Roasted Cauliflower sprinkled over the top too and loved it!) Serves 8.    Enjoy!

9 comments:

SnoWhite February 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Looks tasty!

I'm sure all the snow makes you miss MN ;-)

Melody February 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

YUMMY! I love homemade mac and cheese. This variation looks awesome!

Chef Aimee February 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

I love twists like this on mac and cheese! MMM! Ugh, we are getting more snow here in NY tonight. I am DONE! I want spring...I want pasta salads, grilled chicken, and lots of asparagus! I am done with winter...after this mac and cheese, of course! :)

Anonymous,  February 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

Super yum with the Ranch seasoning.

teresa February 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

hey, check out your blog, it looks great! this mac and cheese looks wonderful too, perfect for this relentless storm!

Kim February 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

It really is insane all the snow that DC got this winter. The monuments and everything look so pretty though. I like that this mac and cheese doesn't have the flour base. I bet it was really creamy and delicious. Just what you need when you come in from shoveling.

Katy ~ February 17, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Nice twist with the ranch dressing. Sounds very good.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Mindy February 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

I have been craving mac and cheese lately. In fact, I bought elbow macaroni last week thinking I was going to make it. I love the idea of using ranch in it... ranch makes everything better, doesn't it! I'm going to bookmark this for sure.

Julie June 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

We had this for dinner tonight (along with the roasted cauliflower) and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Glenn brought home a FHE lesson he found online a few weeks ago, and there at the top was your name! We've been working on eliminating "garbage words" here at our house- thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP