Middle Eastern Lentil Soup

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I posted my Christmas in Bethlehem menu in haste, without pictures or good notes, just to get it up before Christmas.  Now that the craziness is dying down a little and my kids are totally distracted with a new Wii game downstairs I thought I'd break down the different recipes from the menu into different (and more usable) posts with the additional pictures and  my notes from making it.  I'm starting off with the main attraction of the menu with the Middle Eastern Lentil soup. It's tasty and would make a healthy, yet hearty vegetarian meal any time through the winter.  It was delicious served with the hot flatbread.    



Click here for printable recipe. 


 


1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
6 cups water
1-1/2 cups red or brown lentils
1 can (15-oz.) garbanzo beans, undrained
1 can (15-oz.) cannellini beans, undrained
1 can (14.5-oz) petite diced tomatoes
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 Tbs. curry powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 Tbs. ground cumin
cayenne pepper, to taste
coconut milk (optional)

Directions:  In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in olive oil for about 5 minutes.


  Add the water, lentils, garbanzos, cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. 

Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or longer, until the lentils are soft. (NOTE:  I let mine boil 2+ hours and needed to add some water to thin it to the right consistency)
Puree HALF the soup in a food processor or blender (this helps it achieve the right texture).  Return the pureed soup to the pot, add additional water or coconut milk [up to 2 cups] as needed to achieve the right texture, reheat, stir and enjoy! 

Serve with fresh flatbread and a swirl of plain greek yogurt if desired.  Enjoy! 
NOTE:  This can also be made in the crockpot.  Skip the saute step and put into the crockpot all at once.  Cook 5-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low.  Puree half the soup as directed. 

Originally from http://mirienscookingclass.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP