Lemon Basil Chicken Recipe

Monday, November 10, 2008

This chicken is so easy to prepare, makes the house smell SO good, and is a classic for a Sunday dinner.
1 whole fryer chicken (giblets removed and discarded)
1 lemon
2 Tbs. butter, softened
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh or 4 tsp. dried basil leaves

Preheat oven to 375 °.

Fold wings of chicken across back with tips touching. Tie or skewer drumsticks to tail. (I completely skip this step and it has not affected the taste or quality at all).

Grate 2 tsp. lemon peel from lemon. Mix lemon peel, butter, and minced garlic. Set aside.

Cute lemon in half. Rub chicken with juice from half of the lemon. Place sliced garlic, 2 tsp. basil, and remaining lemon half in cavity of chicken.

Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan (I just use my 9x13" casserole dish instead). Brush (I use my fingers) butter mixture under the skin on the breast. Pull the skin back up covering the breast as much as possible. Sprinkle evenly with another 2 tsp. of basil.

Roast uncovered about 1-1/2 hours (or until pop-up thermometer indicates that it's done). Brush 2 or 3 times with pan drippings while baking.

Serve hot with mashed potatoes, salad, and homemade rolls.

Oops I forgot to take a picture before we carved it all up. Needless to say it was much prettier then!

Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP