Pasta with Cremini, Asparagus, and Walnuts

Thursday, November 11, 2010

This recipe is one I found in a church cookbook from my friend Adelia.  I was pretty sure my hubby and I would enjoy it, but I was a little more nervous about the kids, since both mushrooms and asparagus are ingredients that have the tendency to scare them off sometimes.  Luckily I didn't have anything to worry about....I don't know if it was the kid-friendly noodles or the nuts sprinkled on top or the mild mascarpone cheese flavor, but my kids not only tried it, but ended up devouring it.  I ended up wishing I'd made a one-and-a-half batch of it after my teen son gobbled up way more than his fair share!  I've made it twice more since then (although not with the bacon yet) and they've loved it every time. Thanks Adelia! 

 Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 lb. farfalle pasta
3 Tbs. butter
3/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (8-oz.) package mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese)

1 pinch ground nutmeg
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)

Directions:  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally.  Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.  Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
 

Add the asparagus and saute until asparagus is crisp-tender. 

Add the noodles.  Stir in  mascarpone cheese and nutmeg and toss until the cheese coats the pasta, add the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten (I normally don't use any water).


Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.  Season the pasta to taste with salt and pepper.  Mound the pasta in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, crumbled bacon (if desired), and remaining toasted walnuts.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4-5 servings. 
 
Enjoy!

7 comments:

Unknown November 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

This sounds yummy and I'm printing it now to try :0)

Lyndas recipe box November 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

This sounds delicious and I'm printing it out too! I know my husband will like this too.

Holly November 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

This sounds really good-I would leave out the walnuts-but i love mushrooms and asparagus:)

teresa November 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

so delicious! mascarpone is such a sweet creamy cheese, i bet it was marvelous with the pasta!

Kim November 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

It's always hard to know whether the kids are going to like something or not. It seems like the mild flavor of mascarpone is almost always a hit with them though. Looks delicious!

P.S. Remember the $25,000 prize winning Penne with Gorgonzola and Chicken? You made it awhile back and I just thought about it yesterday. Made it. Loved it.
It really was fantastic! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous,  November 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

I love being able to get veggies and healthy choices into my kiddos in delicious recipes!!! Great idea. Hope you'll join Saturday Swap!

Kate January 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM  

Don't know where I first got this recipe but I've been making it for a couple of years now. It is truly one of our family favorites--- extended family too, I've shared the recipe with several family members. We make it with broccoli when asparagus isn't looking to good.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP