Zucchini and Sausage Quiche

Thursday, September 3, 2009

I've made zucchini dishes for dinner and even for dessert, but here's my first try at zucchini for breakfast. This zucchini and sausage quiche was hearty and delicious, and since we'd cooked it up the night before it was perfect for a crazy Sunday morning getting out the door to church. We served it up with some fresh fruit and orange juice and even my kids who aren't usually the biggest quiche fans, seemed to really enjoy it. Yum!


The ingredients:

Click here for printable recipe.


1 pkg. pie crust mix (I made my own)
1 lb. zucchini, shredded (2 cups)
4 Tbs. butter
1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausages
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper

Prepare pie crust mix, following label directions. Roll out to 14-inch round on lightly floured surface; fit into a 10-inch fluted quiche dish (or pie plate). Trim pastry overhang to 1/2-inch. Flute to make a stand up edge. Prick shell well over surface with fork. Bake in preheated oven at 450° for 8 minutes; remove to wire rack; cool slightly.

Saute zucchini in 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet for 5 minutes or until tender. REmove to bowl. Remove casing from sausages and crumble and cook sausages in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, until no pink remains. Drain.

Spread cooked zucchini evenly on bottom of pastry shell; sprinkle crumbled sausage and Swiss cheese over zucchini. Set aside.

Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Add milk, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper; blend well. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes, then lower to 350° and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until center is almost firm, but still soft. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

*Note: We cooked our quiche the night before, refrigerated it overnight, then reheated it the next day. It was still great and really eased the morning rush. *

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Jessie September 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

that looks so yummy!! i don't make quiches very often because my husband is not a fan of eggs but I am going to try this sometime while he is gone!!

Coleens Recipes September 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

What a treat, I can't wait to try this.

Kim September 4, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

I love the combination of zucchini and eggs, this looks delicious. Thanks for visiting my blog. And, I laughed when I read your comment about Paula's recipe having 1 full pound of butter! I hadn't thought of it that way and it made me laugh. That's a lot of butter, even for Paula!

Anonymous,  September 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Did you have to squeeze any liquid off of the zucchini, or did you not have to because you sauteed it first?

Looks delicious!

Katy ~ September 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Yumm....do I smell breakfast!? You know how I love my breakfasts and this would make a dandy one!

Anonymous,  September 6, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

I truly think zucchini and sausages are made for each other! I also like to add goat cheese and fresh lemon zest to that!

MaRiN September 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

I'm throwing my sister an early morning baby shower and serving breakfast, I might have to throw this on the menu as well! Thanks!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP