Turkey Tacos

Monday, December 7, 2009


Even though we didn't prepare a Thanksgiving feast this year, we still cooked a turkey because we couldn't miss out on our favorite leftover: Turkey Tacos!! By now, your turkeys may already be gone, but just in case anyone is cooking a turkey for Christmas, I thought I'd get this recipe up so you can enjoy the leftovers too!

Click here for printable recipe. 

Turkey Tacos
by Trisha

The Ingredients:


Cooking Oil (vegetable or olive oil is up to you)
Leftover turkey, shredded (a mix, but mostly dark meat for flavor)
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
*salt & pepper  (SEE NOTE BELOW)

*cumin  (SEE NOTE BELOW)

*poultry seasoning (SEE NOTE BELOW)
sharp cheddar cheese
taco shells (home fried or store bought)

*NOTE:  If you're not confident adding these spices to taste, you can just use a store-bought taco seasoning packet instead. 

I use my Cuisinart to quickly shred the leftover turkey. Remember that the dark meat is the best for flavor because it has the most fat in it.

Begin by frying the potatoes and onion in oil at medium high heat.

When browned and almost cooked through (about 15 minutes), add seasonings to taste. 

*NOTE FROM LARA:  I like to add 3/4 cup water and a taco seasoning packet at this point.  I found the water made it nice and moist while the potatoes finished cooking. 


Add the turkey to the browned potato and onion mixture and fry the turkey (close up photo gives a visual of how browned I like it) until the potatoes are cooked through.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove taco meat from heat, scoop into taco shells, and top with cheese.

Place a single plate of tacos or a large bar pan of tacos into the oven to melt cheese and brown taco shells. It only takes a few minutes, so keep an eye on it.


Serve it up and enjoy your leftovers!! (can be served as seen or add lettuce and tomato or salsa).

7 comments:

Lara December 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Trish! Thanks for posting! For some reason I never really thought to make Mexican food out of my Thanksgiving leftovers, but something tells me I'd like this much better than the turkey/gravy concoctions Glen usually comes up with. ;)

teresa December 7, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

great idea for leftovers! love it!

Arlene Delloro December 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

Your tacos look really good. I've made turkey enchiladas, but never turkey tacos. Thanks for planting the seed.

Kim December 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

Turkey tacos is a great idea. I've made them with ground turkey, so why not shredded turkey. Sounds good to me :D

Katy ~ December 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

Good and tasty idea. Never would have thought of this in a hundred years. Glad I didn't have to wait that long. thanks!

Sarah November 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

This was great! never would have thought of this on my own!

Keyifli Yemek Tarifleri November 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM  

Thank you very much for your recipe. İt seems delicious.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP