Tacoritos

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

 My family enjoyed this fun Mexican dish and jokingly said it should be called "Tacoritoladas", since they're more like a taco/burrito/enchilada combination than just a taco/burrito combo as the name implies.  The recipe and the name came from one of the Taste of Home magazines and I can see why they only used the catchy, easier to remember name. :)     These are rather mild and the meat filling has a great texture and flavor.  I highly recommend using a good quality Italian sausage, rather than a no-name version. 


 Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1/3 cup flour
4 cups water
3 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 lb. bulk pork sausage (I recommend spicy)
1 onion, chopped
1 can (16-oz.) refried beans
8-10 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Optional toppings: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, sour cream

Directions:  In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;

gradually add water.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in chili powder and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage, and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Stir in refried beans; heat through.

Spread 1/4 cup sauce in a greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce over each tortilla;

place 2/3 cup meat mixture over sauce.

Add a sprinkle of cheese.

Place seam side down in prepared dish.

Pour remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  Bake uncovered at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings if desired. Makes 8 servings. Enjoy!

7 comments:

FoodontheTable June 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

These look beautiful and delicious! My family loves Mexican any day of the week.

Melody June 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Yummy! Mexican is my favorite!

Kim June 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

This looks like one mighty fine meal! I could definitely devour some of this:)

Julie June 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

Very nice, looks like something I'd love on my table!

teresa June 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

mmm, i love mexican food, this would be a total hit at our house!

Katy June 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

My mouth is watering for this. It looks as if it's full of wonderful flavor, so easy and delicious. Big YUMS up!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP