Spinach and Zucchini Soup

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

 Every recipe I've ever made of Mirien's has been fabulous, so when she bragged that this healthy soup was one of their family's favorite meals, I knew I needed to give it a try.   A couple of my kids were a little nervous about the greenness of it, but the fresh flavor of it was surprisingly delicious and I definitely envision this soup being a regular part of our winter menu.    Now, in the interest of full disclosure,  if you don't like cilantro, you probably won't enjoy this soup, because the cilantro flavor was pronounced.   However if you love cilantro, like everyone in my family does, I think that you will absolutely love this.  You don't want to skip the little squeeze of lemon at the end, because we all agreed that it really complemented the flavors perfectly.  Serve it up with some fresh, hot homemade bread, the squeeze of lemon, a swirl of sour cream, and a sprinkle of crumbled bacon.  Enjoy! 

Recipe Source:
  Mirien's Kitchen
 Click here for printable recipe .

The ingredients:

3 Tbs. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
2 medium zucchini, diced
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups fresh spinach leaves (I used a 5-ounce bag)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 lemon (don't skip)
Desired toppings:  sour cream, croutons, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese

Directions:  Heat oil in large pot and saute onions and garlic until soft. Add salt, potatoes, zucchini, and broth and simmer until vegetables are tender (10-15 min.)

Add spinach and cilantro and stir until just wilted. Puree in blender until smooth, then return to pot to keep warm. Serve with lemon wedges and squeeze juice into the soup.

Serve topped with sour cream, bacon, cheese, croutons, etc. and hot bread on the side. 

Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up for free email updates on the right.
 

******

1 comments:

Cheese with Noodles October 6, 2011 at 1:02 AM  

This looks amazing, I love everything in it! And it's so pretty too :D I've been on a huge zucchini kick lately with the last of my garden's zucchini. If I'd seen this recipe sooner I would have tried it for sure! It will have to wait until next summer though :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP