Apple Fritters Recipe

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Straight from Grandma Hepworth's kitchen...good old fashioned apple goodness! These are soft and light and have just the right amount of flavor. Our family eats up a plate of these in no time flat!


 Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:
 

1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups flour (I used part whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cups finely diced tart apples (about 2 medium)
Vegetable oil
for frying

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
 (because I used whole wheat flour, the batter is a little darker
than it would be if I had used all-purpose white flour)

Blend buttermilk and egg yolks with flour mixture. Beat  until well combined. Set aside.


Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold egg whites and chopped apple into buttermilk and flour mixture.


 (after the egg whites and apples are folded in)

Heat oil in heavy pan, then drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil.


Cook until golden brown, then roll over with a fork and cook the other side until golden also.
 (My kids thought they looked a little like chicken nuggets before we glazed them)

Remove from pan and roll in sugar or drizzle with orange-butter glaze. Serve hot with fresh fruit.



Enjoy.

7 comments:

Donna-FFW January 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

I'll remember to fully fry them:) They look outstanding. Can't wait to try them. Thanks!

Mariel February 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

Lots of yummy looking recipes on here! I'll be back to try some.

www.oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com

Deanne February 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Oooh, can't wait to try them. I love apple fritters!

Mrs. Accountability October 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

My favorite!! Can't find good ones in the store anymore so I stopped even trying years ago. I will definitely bookmark and have to try these!

Anonymous,  April 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

I tried it and they were good. I think I made the apple chunks too small and I mixed the batter too much. Next time, I will do better.

Rhandi October 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

Yum yum yum! Apple Fritters are one my all time favorite desserts. Strangely, I have never made them, I am excited to try your recipe- I might even make them tonight!

coming unstuck October 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

these fritters are sooo good...you just can't stop eating them.I posted the recipe on my blog.I have followed your post for a while now(over a yr) and love it..thnx for sharing...liz
http://lizsoutherngirl.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP