Blueberry French Toast

Friday, June 5, 2009

My kids call this recipe I got from my aunt Mary, "IHOP breakfast at home". At first I wasn't sure exactly what they were comparing it to at IHOP, but after going to IHOP a couple of weeks ago and noticing all the things covered in blueberries and cream cheese like this is, I totally understood. I like to make this special breakfast when we're having guests over, since it's totally prepared the night before. You just pop it in the oven in the morning and VOILA you've got a beautiful, fancy, filling breakfast to serve your guests.

The ingredients:
12 slices of thick white bread (like Texas Toast)
2 packages (8-oz. each) cream cheese
1-1/2 cups blueberries
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup OR honey
1 tsp. vanilla

BLUEBERRY SAUCE:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup blueberries
1 Tbs. butter

Cut or tear bread into 1-inch cubes. Place half of bread cubes into a greased 9x13" baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes and place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread. In large bowl beat eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla--mix well and pour over bread mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours or until sopping. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking (I always skip this step with no noticeable difference). Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until set. Serve with blueberry sauce. Serves 8-10.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE DIRECTIONS: Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water and bring a boil over medium heat. Boil 3 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Simmer 8-10 minutes or until berries have burst. Stir in butter until melted and serve over the French toast.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

SnoWhite June 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

yummy! blueberries are the best.

Katy ~ June 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

Fabulous! What a special breakfast treat. I'm a blueberry aficionado.

teresa June 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

What a yummy dish! Looks delicious!

Lynn June 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

I'll bet this is yummy!

Kristen June 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Oh wow! I'm all over that! Wonderful :o)

Coleens Recipes June 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

This looks delicious!! What a nice change of pace.

Anonymous,  July 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

I had this for breakfast today. It was truly amazing. It tastes as good as it looks. I would definitely make this again.

Karen

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP