One Pot Mac & Cheese

Monday, January 17, 2011

My kids love a bowl of good old fashioned mac & cheese from a box.  I personally can't stand the taste of the processed cheese and hate that my kids are getting little to no nutrition from it, so they only rarely get it as an occasional treat for lunch on a day off of school (like today).  Then recently my friend Kristi shared this recipe with me and I was intrigued.  It's just as easy as the boxed variety and it's actually made with REAL cheese and whole grain noodles (if you so choose).   In other words, it's super easy, nutritious, messes only one pot, and actually tastes good.   No more blue boxes for me!

Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:

4 cups water
2 cups milk
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 lb. macaroni noodles (or other small pasta)
3 cups grated cheddar cheese

Directions:  In a large saucepan, mix water, milk, bouillon, and pasta.  Bring to a boil and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until nearly all of the liquid is gone and the pasta is tender (about 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and stir in cheese.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

Marie January 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

Oooh, I can't wait to try this! My kids (and husband...) are the same way, they love mac and cheese and I hate to make it for the same reasons!

Arlene Delloro January 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

It looks good and sure sounds easy!

Bonny January 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM  

Looks yummy! My 3 year-old loves mac n' cheese--I'm sure he would LOVE this!

teresa January 18, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

my son lurrrrves his mac and cheese. i'm definitely giving this a try!

Megan January 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

Just made this for lunch today (and blogged it!). My kids gobbled it up and it was just so quick and easy! Perfect for lunch, really not harder than the boxed variety I try to stay away from.

Kim January 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM  

I love the concept of the pasta cooking in the sauce. Never thought of doing that before. Definitely a must try!

Rankin Family April 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

YUMMY!! Just made this for the family and they all wanted seconds! Great recipe! We loved it.

Melissa Beckley December 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

This was DELICIOUS! I used plain elbow macaroni, and added chopped ham, it was SOOO good!!

Coleens Recipes December 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM  

Those "blue boxes" are getting pretty expensive too!! I'm going to fix this for the grandkids!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP