Tarragon Shallot Egg Salad Sandwiches

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I made this recipe from Epicurious for a book group meeting I was attending with friends, but since I still had to cook dinner for my family, I just decided to make a big double batch for them. I had never cooked with tarragon before, so I was a tad nervous at whether it would be good or not and I got even more nervous when I chopped the fresh tarragon and was totally convinced it smelled like black licorice (not my favorite). But when I made a little sample sandwich for myself to try before sharing it with my friends I found it so delightfully tasty that my little sample soon turned into a much larger sandwich sized snack! :) Surprisingly my kids totally adored the complex flavors too and were begging me to make it again soon!

By the way, if you totally want a fun book group read, let me suggest one of my childhood favorites, "Anne of Green Gables". We all dressed up, wore white gloves, brought Anne-ish foods (like this egg salad), made raspberry cordial, and had a fantastic time discussing Anne and Gilbert and all our favorite quotes.
I totally felt like a little girl again having a tea party with her friends.



The ingredients:

Click here for printable recipe.

8 large eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
1-1/2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon
2 tsp. tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
12 slices seedless rye bread (I used pumpernickel)
mayonnaise for spreading on bread (optional)
3 cups tender pea shoots or shredded lettuce (I used broccoli sprouts)

Hard boil eggs and allow to cool. Peel eggs and finely chop.

Stir together eggs and remaining salad ingredients in a bowl with a fork.

To make sandwiches, spread mayonnaise on rye bread, add eggs salad and top with pea shoots.

*Note: Egg salad can be made a day ahead of time. Keep chilled and covered. *

Enjoy!

6 comments:

SnoWhite September 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Fun! I'm glad you liked the flavors - I would have been hesitant too.

As an "adult" I love re-reading books I loved as a young girl... I'll have to add Anne to my list!

Debbie September 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

I love egg salad and will have to try tarragon in it the next time I make it. Sounds so good!

Lyndas recipe box September 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

I'll have to try tarragon the next time I make egg salad. I've tried it in chicken soups and love it!
what a fun book to read; Anne of Green Gables should be a must for girls to read!

Kim September 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Egg salad is one of those things that I crave every now and then. I'll have to keep my eye out for tarragon in the stores.

Katy ~ September 10, 2009 at 5:02 AM  

Ooooh...a "fancy" egg salad recipe. How nice would these be in little finger sandwiches or cocktail breads for a shower or party. Terrific!!!

I loved Anne of Green Gables as well. I'm going to have to seek it out again.

Sweet and delicious post!

teresa September 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

oh how yummy! i love egg salad so this would be a hit!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP