Whole-Grain Stuffed French Toast

Monday, March 22, 2010

It's always a challenge finding good, wholesome foods that my family will eat.  This recipe from the Food Network magazine was just the right balance of whole grain, low-sugar goodness for me and enough crunch and citrus flavor to please the kids.  With just a light sprinkle of powdered sugar over the top, the kids devoured these savory stuffed French toasts without a drop of syrup.   I also liked that they were hearty enough to last them all the way to lunch...an impossible feat with a bowl of cereal. 


Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:
8 slices whole-grain bread
4 Tbs. light cream cheese (I didn't measure. See note below.)
4 Tbs. low-sugar orange marmalade (I didn't measure)
2 large eggs
egg whites
Zest and juice of one orange (about 1/3 cup of orange juice)
1-1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
1-2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1-2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. powdered sugar

Directions:  Spread 4 bread slices with cream cheese and the other 2 slices with the orange marmalade (NOTE:  I didn't measure.  I just spread a generous layer of each until it looked good).  Combine to make 4 sandwiches.  
Whisk the whole eggs, egg whites, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla in shallow bowl.  Place the bran flakes in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pins or your hands.  Pour the crumbs onto a plate.  Dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture, 



then in the crumbs, gently pressing the crumbs onto the bread.  

Heat 1 tablespoon each of oil and butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat.  Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the outsides are golden and crispy and the insides are melted (about 3-4 minutes per side).  Add more oil and butter as needed.  

Slice the French toast sandwiches into triangles.  Cream cheese filling will be quite hot, so let cool slightly before serving.  Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.  Makes 4 servings.  Enjoy!  


4 comments:

SnoWhite March 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

I'm impressed your kiddos liked this! Good work :)

Kim March 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

I have really been into breakfast foods lately and I love this version. I wonder what brand name cereal you used for the bran flakes? Also, I wonder if you could use any jam/marmalade? Seems like most flavors would taste good. Looks delicious:D

Lara March 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

Thanks for the reminder Kim--I totally forgot to put up my ingredient picture with the post. The Bran Flakes I used were the Safeway store brand. You could definitely use other flavors of jam, although I'm not sure exactly what else you could do with the egg mixture.

Sharon March 22, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

This looks so good,I want some right now... But may have to wait until this weekend!! Yum!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP