Crunchy Barbecue Onion Chicken

Saturday, April 10, 2010

This is a fun new recipe I found in the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine.   It was super quick and easy to make and despite me overcooking it slightly it still ended up being quite the crowd pleaser at our house.  The rich smoky flavor of the BBQ sauce combined with the crispy french fried onions, was definitely a winning combination!  We served it up with some BBQ dipping sauce and some ranch dressing, a fruit smoothie, and a salad.  It was a perfectly yummy weeknight dinner.  

Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:

*1/2 bottle BBQ sauce (plus more for dipping)
*1 can (6-oz.) french-fried onions, crushed
*1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3 or 4 strips each

Directions:  Place barbecue sauce in a shallow bowl.  In another shallow bowl, combine the onions, cheese, and pepper.

Dip both sides of the chicken into the BBQ sauce, then into the onion mixture.


 Place chicken on a foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 400 degrees for 22-27 minutes (check at 22 minutes) or until chicken tests done.  Serve warm with more BBQ sauce (or ranch dressing) for dipping.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

 *NOTE:  The measurements of the BBQ sauce, french-fried onions, or Parmesan cheese are very inexact.

4 comments:

Julie April 11, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

I just love those french fried onions used in recipes. I'll bet this was great!

Kim April 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Taste of Home Healthy Cooking? I feel like I'm missing out;D I haven't seen that copy yet. Lately I've been having such luck with their magazines. I can't resist them.

The chicken sounds delicious. Those french fried onions would make a great coating.

Chef Aimee April 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

Oh wow these are right up my alley! I love that the coating is the fried onions! MMM!

Katy ~ April 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

I am singing your praises. This is so perfect for a weeknight meal...lots of flavor, easy. LOVE this.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP