Hearty Chicken Pesto Pizzas

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Every Friday night is pizza night at our house. Sometimes we order out, sometimes I make traditional pizzas, and other nights I'm just in the mood for something totally different. When I found this recipe I got excited. It was fun, different, easy, and looked delicious. Glen and I thoroughly enjoyed this sophisticated twist on pizza. The kids, however, were a little scared off by the non-traditional toppings so I ended up just letting them make their own pita bread pizzas however they wanted.

The ingredients:
4 whole pita breads
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup prepared pesto
2 packages (6-oz each) ready-to use Southwestern chicken strips (I did my own)
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Place pita breads on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and pesto. Top each pita with onion mixture;
spread pesto mixture evenly over the onion layer.
Top with chicken, tomatoes, and cheese. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 4.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

teresa May 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

This looks so good. My guy's name is Glenn too, cool!

Charlene May 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

this looks delicious!! I am looking forward to trying it out!

Sarah May 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

I stumbled upon your blog today while looking for peanut butter pancakes. I love your recipes! I love reading food blogs and yours probably is most like how my family likes to eat...healthy changes in classic recipes and a good mix of healthy and splurge food! Funny your recipe today was pita pizzas...we just had vegetarian pita pizza for lunch in our house! I also bookmarked a few other recipes to try.

Kristen May 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

That looks delicious (I love a good grown-up pizza). I passed on a blogging award to you today too http://whatcha-eatin.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-1st-award.html

Coleens Recipes May 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Oh wow, this looks SO good. I had to laugh about your kids wanting more traditional toppings. Around here it is hubby who insists on very traditional toppings. But I always make my own little pizza on the side, so I am definitely going to try this. Thanks.

Katy ~ May 6, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Sweetie-Pi is the stalwart traditionalist. I would definitely try this. Sounds so good.

Deanne May 7, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

Sounds great! I love just about anything with pesto on it.

Clarinda May 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Have you ever done grilled pizzas for your Friday night tradition? They are a favorite of ours in the summertime. Actually, we even had them for Jeff's birthday...in February! They are so tasty...and the best part is, like these pita pizzas, everyone gets to decorate their own--leaving everyone satisfied!

Sophie May 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

The chicken makes them over-the-top delicious. They look soo good!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP