Chicken Tikka Masala

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This Pioneer Woman recipe is a little more complicated than most of my recipes, but after hearing glowing reports from a friend  I couldn't wait to give it a try.  I started to get nervous while I made it, since I had never even used half of the spices before (thank goodness they were 50%-off that week), but man oh man, was I glad I stuck with it.  It was full of flavor, had a lovely presentation, came together easier than I expected, and pleased the munchkins too.   This is definitely going on the "I'm trying to impress someone" recipe list!  Yum, yum!

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients: 


CHICKEN:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
kosher salt, to taste
ground coriander, to taste
cumin, to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt

SAUCE:
2 Tbs. butter
1 large yellow onion (I used red, which tasted fine, but gave the sauce an off-color)
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbs. salt
1 piece (2-inches) fresh ginger, grated or minced finely
3 Tbs. garam masala (a spice that can be easily found in most well-stocked grocery stores or here's a recipe for a homemade version)
1 cans (28-oz.) crushed tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes, but would have preferred the smoother texture of crushed)
1 Tbs. sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, diced (optional)

RICE:
2 cups basmati rice (no substitutions)
4 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. ground turmeric
4 cups water
1 cup frozen peas

DIRECTIONS:  To a rice cooker, add 2 cups basmati rice, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon ground turmeric, and 4 cups of water.  Cover, turn your rice cooker on and walk away.  Or if you're like me and don't have a rice cooker, saute the dry rice in the butter until lightly browned,
 
then add the rest of the ingredients (except the frozen peas), cover and cook as directed. 

Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with some kosher salt.  Next sprinkle them on both sides with some coriander and cumin.

Then coat the chicken breasts completely with the plain yogurt.

Set the chicken on a metal cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet and place it about 10-12 inches below a broiler for 5-7 minutes each side.  Watch carefully so as not to totally char the chicken.  (I just grilled my chicken outside instead of in the oven).  It should have slightly blackened edges.

Remove from oven (or grill).  Chop up into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.

Next dice one large onion.  In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat.  Toss in the onions and saute until they are slightly browned.  As the onions cook, mince your garlic.  Next, cut off the outer skin and mince or grate a 1 x 2-inch piece of fresh ginger.  Add the garlic and ginger to the onions.  Then add about 1 tablespoon of salt and 3 tablespoons of Garam Masala spice and if desired, the chopped serrano pepper.

Next add the can of crushed or diced tomatoes and 1 tablespoon sugar, while you continue to stir.  Let the mixture simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes. 

After the Tikka Masala sauce has had a chance to simmer, stir in the 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream and chopped chicken breasts.  Stir well and add in the chopped cilantro.  Simmer for 1-2 minutes. 

When rice is done, stir in the frozen peas.  The heat will cook them just perfectly.  It tastes great and adds a nice dash of color. 

Serve the rice with the Chicken Tikka Masala sauce over top.  Serve warm with Naan bread.  Enjoy! 


3 comments:

Kim March 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

This sounds like a great recipe for trying out new spices. I have never cooked with turmeric or garam masala, but keep trying to add to my spice cabinet. Glad to hear you scored some spices 50% off.

Looks like a new and fun dinner to try out!

teresa March 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

i really want to try this! the flavors look outstanding!

Debbie March 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

Oh does that look tasty. I have never used some of those spices but would love to try this dish. I just posted your Milky Way cake on my blog....Thanks for the recipe. It was great!!!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP