Thai-Style Black Bean Salad

Friday, July 17, 2009

I'm not very good at side dishes. Most nights I make our main course and then totally as an afterthought throw on a handful of carrots or a salad from a kit on to the plate. As part of trying out new recipes for this blog, I've been trying to be more adventurous and thoughtful into what I serve along with the main course. This black bean salad recipe from Healthy Cooking was right up my alley! It was fresh, easy to make, unique, and totally delicious! It was the perfect accompaniment for our Grilled Honey-Lime Chicken Sandwiches.


The ingredients:
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (15-oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 Tbs. sesame oil
1 Tbs. rice vinegar
1 Tbs. lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp. salt

Cook corn according to package directions. Transfer to small bowl; add the beans, onion, celery, red pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno.

In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and salt. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Lyndas recipe box July 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

This dish is right up my alley-my hubby will like it too-thanks for posting this healthy and yummy looking side!

Katy ~ July 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

Lara, this sounds excellent (except for the cilantro LOL!). And I hear you about sides; this is perfect!

kiss my spatula July 17, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

love the colors and flavors of the salad! looks perfect for summer.

Redkathy July 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

Oh this looks great. I love salads with beans!

teresa July 18, 2009 at 7:05 PM  

This is such a colorful and yummy looking salad. Perfect summer dish!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP