Thai Chicken and Potato Curry

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

 My husband and I are quickly becoming big fans of Thai food and this recipe from a friend was right up our alley.  The coconut milk, the slightly spicy flavor from the red curry, the hearty potatoes, the tender chicken--it all came together so perfectly yummy!  I don't know if my kids are mutants that they eagerly eat all different kinds of cuisine, but this one was another hit with the whole family.   

It was such a crazy day when I made this, that I only took one picture total, but hopefully it's enough to get you excited enough to try it too!   


Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:
1 lb. potatoes, red or white (peeled and cut into bite size pieces)
1 can (14-oz) coconut milk
1/2 tsp. salt
4-5 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
1-inch cube fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped finely
1 tsp. brown sugar or honey
2 tsp. red curry paste (found mine in the Asian section)
1-2 Tbs. fish sauce or 1 tsp. salt (we have seafood allergies, so we used the salt)
Hot cooked rice

Directions:  Start off by boiling the diced potatoes and get rice started.  In a separate saucepan, add the coconut milk and salt. Add the chicken and bring to a boil.  Simmer about 10 minutes, remove from heat, set aside.  In a large wok or frying pan, heat peanut oil, then add onion, garlic, ginger root, and the brown sugar or honey.  Cook for a couple of minutes on medium heat.  Add the curry paste and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.  Lower the heat and add the fish sauce (or additional salt) and chicken with coconut milk.  Cook for about 5 minutes, add the cooked potatoes and stir.  Place in a serving dish.  Add a dash of  lime juice and basil leaves on top if desired.  Serve hot over rice.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kim May 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

I have been all about curries lately and this sounds delicious to me. I can definitely see why you all love it.

Anonymous,  January 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM  

This was super delicious! My husband is not a left-over guy, and he claimed the left-overs before I even put them in the fridge for the next day. Thanks!
Katherine

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP