Cooking with Kids (Thanksgiving): Turkey Cupcakes

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My kids truly believe that there is a cute treat to go with every holiday and I have no one to blame than myself for this holiday sugar fixation.   It wasn't enough for me to stick with Valentines, Easter, birthdays, and Christmas---no I had to go ahead and throw in Groundhog's Day, April Fools' Day, and even "Pi" Day.   So with all that precedent, of course I'm always on the look-out for more fun ideas to throw into the mix.  This is an idea I got from my friend Andie and knew instantly that my kids would love it, which they did of course!   Click here for my other Thanksgiving recipes. 

Click here for printable recipe. 
 
(My kids were debating amongst themselves at which way the wings went.  I very nobly decided not to get involved, but if you look at the group picture at the end of the post  you'll see that they never did decide! If you have an opinion, you'll have to let me know. )

The ingredients:
Cupcakes, baked
White frosting
Nutter Butters (for turkey bodies)

Black decorating gel  (for eyes)
 Red fruit roll-ups, cut into small wedge shapes (for wattles)
Vanilla wafers, halved (for wings)
Candy corn (for back feathers)

Frost each cupcake with white frosting; set aside.   Using the black decorating gel, make the eyes and stick the fruit roll-up wedge shaped down (either with the black gel or a bit of the white frosting) to be the wattle.  Push the Nutter Butter "turkey body" down into the center of the cupcake.  Place two vanilla wafer halves on either side of the turkey to be the wings and finally making two rows, place several candy corns upside down back behind the turkey to be the tail feathers. 

Cute, cute!
 
NOTE:  If you  have food allergies which prevent you from using the Nutter Butter cookies, I have found that Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies work well as a nut-free, although slightly more expensive substitute .    

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Lynn November 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

These are so cute :) Bet it would be fun to grow up at your house.

K November 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

I can't believe you now have a picture of me in your sidebar.

Kim November 18, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

They are so adorable Lara! What a great idea for a turkey day party! I wouldn't know which way the wings to either ;D I love the new pics on your sidebar.

teresa November 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

too cute! i love all the pics, what pretty girls!

Kelly November 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

Adorable! My daughter loves making cupcakes, so these would be right up her alley :D

Katy ~ November 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM  

I just love these. What a fun and creative way to introduce children to cooking. You are so cool!

Love all the pix on your sidebar. Everyone is beautiful!

sweetjeanette November 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Those are adorable!!! I think my neices...all four of them...would enjoy doing these. Well, one would just enjoy eating them, but I'm just sayin'.
I'd love you to join my blog on Fridays for Freezer Foods Friday and coming 12/15 I'm hosting a Christmas Goodies Recipe Exchange link up. Would be thrilled to have you! Come see me.

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP