Cornmeal Lime Glazed Cookies

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I found this recipe in an old family cookbook when I was really hungry and couldn't stop thinking about the interesting combination of ingredients in these.  Cornmeal, limes, oranges---it just made my mouth water just thinking about it.  When I actually got around to making them though I wasn't quite so starved and I was pretty nervous making them wondering if we would end up liking them. 

The further into the process I got, the more nervous I got.  Thankfully, though the experiment was a success.  They were a stand-out cookie with its delicious citrus flavor and slight shortbready texture.  I really enjoyed the texture that the cornmeal gave to these and I am definitely adding this into my holiday cookie repertoire! 



This picture may not make them look glamorous, but they tasted like a million bucks!  Next time I may blend the citrus zest with the other glaze ingredients  in a food  processor to get a smoother looking topping.


Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:

COOKIES: 
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
4 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 6-8 medium sized limes total, including the glaze)
2 tsp. freshly grated orange zest (2 medium oranges)
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, plus more for coating glass

LIME GLAZE:
3-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2-1/2 tsp. freshly grated lime zest

For cookies:  In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.  Add eggs; beat until just blended. Mix in lime & orange zests, lime juice, and almond extract until well-blended.  Add flour and corn meal and beat until just blended. 

Transfer dough to a piece of plastic wrap.  Shape the dough into a dish; wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour. 


Preheat oven to 350°.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Fill a small bowl with cornmeal.  Using a 1-1/4-inch ice cream scoop, form balls from chilled dough.  Place balls on prepared sheets, space about 3-inches apart.






Dip bottom of a medium drinking glass first into a bowl of water then into a bowl of cornmeal.


Flatten balls with the bottom of glass until dough is about 1/4-inch thick.


Bake cookies until crisp and light-golden brown around the edges, 14-16 minutes. 

Transfer baking sheets to a wire rack on top of a piece of parchment paper.  Pour the lime glaze over the cooled cookies, allowing the excess to drip off the edges.  Let glaze set.  Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.  Makes 24 cookies. 


For glaze:  Sift powdered sugar into a medium bowl.  Add lime juice; stir until smooth.  Stir in lime zest.  (Next time I make these I will blend the glaze ingredients together in a food processor to get a smoother texture.)  Use glaze immediately. 

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Melody December 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

I love citrus cookies! This sounds awesome!

teresa December 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

oooh, and now i'm intrigued! they look amazing!

Katy ~ December 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

I don't think I have ever heard of cornmeal in a cookie before. Now you have me very interested in these. Taste like a million bucks you say? Well now I'm going to have to try these. Plus I LUV citrus.

karen December 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

Just wanted to let you know I love th recipes you post and I am constantly checking back for new ones. Thanks for posting!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP