Fresh Pesto and Tomato Pasta

Sunday, October 25, 2009

With its fresh pesto and tomato flavors I knew immediately that we would love this recipe I found over at the Sisters' Cafe. The kids thought it was such fun helping me collect 5 whole cups of basil leaves from our plant to make the pesto and ended up loving it as much as we adults did. Serve it up with homemade bread sticks and a salad for a simple, healthy dinner!

(I used a bit too much of the pasta water in thinning mine, so it didn't turn out as green as I'd expected. The flavor, however, was still fantastic!)

The ingredients:Click here for printable recipe.


1 cup basil pesto (I used this recipe from Sisters' Cafe)
1 lb. penne pasta
6-8 cups diced fresh tomatoes
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Basil leaves
Shredded Parmesan cheese

Prepare basil pesto. Store in refrigerator or freeze until ready to serve (see link above for a great recipe!)

Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Just before draining the pasta into a colander, remove ~ 1/2 cup of the pasta water; set aside. Drain the pasta, put back into the pot, and then stir in the Basil Pesto and the reserved pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, to create a sauce. Add diced tomatoes and toss to coat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer onto individual serving plates and garnish with fresh basil leaves and shredded Parmesan cheese. Makes 8 servings.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

SnoWhite October 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

looks like a great recipe! I've finally found a pesto without nuts, so I can't wait to try yummy dinners like these :)

teresa October 26, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

oh yummy! those are some of my very favorite flavors, love it!

Lyndas recipe box October 26, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

So simple, but yet delicious! I love meals like this!

Karey October 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

mmmm This sounds so good! I tried to grow basil this year so I could make pesto, but it was a failed attempt :( Maybe next year!

Deanne October 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Yum, yum, yum! Your pesto was delicious. I should probably look into getting my own basil plant.

redkathy October 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Your pasta looks wonderful. Basil is an easy plant to keep. I grew some lime basil this year. Haven't made a pesto yet.... You have inspired me to do so!

Kim October 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

I'm glad to hear that you have your own basil. I tried growing some this year, and it just didn't happen for me. I would love to be able to gather some from my backyard. Love the pasta:)

Katy ~ October 27, 2009 at 4:36 AM  

Don't you just LOVE recipes full of FRESH ingredients like this one! Excellent!!

Disneypal October 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

Oooh - this looks very good.

Lynn October 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

This looks yummy. Our tomato crop is definitely dwindling (after a very fruitful summer), but we still have enough to make this, I think :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Beth Cotell July 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

I have tons of basil in my garden and my son is allergic to peanuts so I am excited to try this. I tried to get the basil pesto recipe and the link is broken. It might be something on their end. Any chance you could post it here?

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP