Enchilacos

Thursday, July 21, 2011

One night I was frantically trying to come up with something to eat for dinner. (I really need to make a menu some day). I found that I had all the ingredients for tacos or enchiladas but no meat in the house. What was I to do?! I found chili in the cupboard, Hey, (I thought to myself), there's meat in chili. It's kind of like taco meat. So I gave it a try. As it turned out my family loved it. My 8 year old thought it was better than tacos. We were trying to decide what to call it since it's a combination of tacos and enchiladas. I suggested "Enchilacos" and it made everyone giggle. It sure is fun to create something and have it succeed.
Click here for printable recipe. 

Enchilacos
Recipe by Jen of the Recipe Shoebox

The Ingredients:
1 package tortillas
1 jar (16-oz.) salsa
1 can chili with meat
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I know there's not cheddar in the picture. I didn't have any)
1 pkg. (8-oz) cream cheese, softened
1 small onion, diced (again, I didn't have an onion on hand so I used a shallot)
2 Tbs. taco seasoning (or 1 package taco seasoning)

The Directions:

Spray a 9x 13 pan with non stick spray and line the bottom with salsa.

Cream together the cream cheese, and taco seasoning. Mix in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and the chopped onion. Stir in the chili.

(Sorry, fuzzy picture)

Spoon some of the filling into a tortilla wrap and roll up. Place in pan, seam side down on top of salsa. Spoon salsa over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Arlene Delloro July 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

I love "pantry meals," especially when they're a success, as yours surely was.

Coleens Recipes July 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

Looks yummy and I LOVE the name of it.

Netta July 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

My family agrees. We use chili in our mexican dishes often!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP