Sweet and Sour Sauce

Friday, September 2, 2011

I received this recipe for Sweet and Sour Sauce a long time ago from a co-worker. I absolutely love a good sweet and sour sauce with chicken or egg rolls and I love being able to whip it up whenever I feel like it. It is so simple. You can experiment with the other things you like to add to your sauce, or you can keep it simple and eat it plain with an egg roll. This is a great way to throw in more vegetables in your dinner because the sweetness of the sauce covers up the veggies!
Click here for printable recipe. 


The Ingredients:
1/2 c water
1/2 c vinegar
3/4 c sugar (or less depending on your taste)
1/3 c ketchup
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 c cold water

Additional ingredients that you'd like to add. For example: chicken, pineapple chunks, red or green peppers, mushrooms, pea pods, mushrooms, etc. (If you use pineapple you can use some of the juice. Just cut down on the sugar you add)

Don't forget the rice

The Directions:
Stir water, vinegar, and sugar in pan until well mixed. Add ketchup and soy sauce. Stir occasionally.
Heat over med-high heat until bubbly. Meanwhile, make a corn starch slurry.In order to thicken the sauce you'll need to add a corn starch slurry; a mixture of corn starch and water. Mix the corn starch and water together until it's all dissolved. Pour a little at a time over the bubbling mixture and it will start to thicken up. If you want it thicker, add more of the corn starch mixture. If it gets too thick, just add a little water to the sauce.
Yes, I added chicken nuggets. It's so much easier than cutting and cooking chicken to make sweet and sour chicken. This also makes a great dipping sauce for chicken nuggets. I'm working on a post on lots of ideas to use chicken nuggets. Cause let's just say that I'm getting pretty tired of plain old chicken nuggets. Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Lara September 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM  

I'm intrigued by the forthcoming chicken nugget post. Sounds like fun! :)

Kim September 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

I know my family would love this recipe, especially with the chicken nuggets.

Lara - Yes,fried green tomatoes are made from green tomatoes that haven't ripened yet. They're delicious and also a good way to use up your tomatoes, if you grow your own.

Elaine Shandra September 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

Ooh, I'm excited to try this out! Thanks for the recipe!

teresa September 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

oh YUMMY! my mouth started watering the second i saw this.

Kim September 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

I went to your site to look for a sweet and sour recipe and there it was right on the first page!!! Thanks Laura you never disappoint me!!

Kim September 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

Okay Laura tried it!! The sauce was wonderful I even used the chicken nuggets and the kids gobbled it up!!! I will make my own sauce for now on!!!

Matt,  September 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM  

The chicken nuggets made it more appealing to my "under 6" crowd.

The short ingredient list made it more appealing to me.

10/10. Would make again.

Unknown November 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM  

Thanks for this! I loved what I did using this easy recipe..

Andrew,  January 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM  

Just made this recipe with a bit of hesatation based on the very few ingredients, but ended up being incredible.
Thank you for this

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP