Classic Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Sunday, December 21, 2008

I'm always looking for healthier, cheaper ways to feed my family. This recipe from my friend Karen is one of those that makes my job a little easier. This bread recipe uses half whole wheat/ half white flour and my kids gobble it up without hesitation!

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

The ingredients:
2-1/4 cups hot water (110-115°)
2 Tbs. yeast
1/3 cup powdered milk* (see note below)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 Tbs. salt
1/3 cup oil
3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (for best results, I recommend using regular whole wheat flour, NOT white whole wheat)

3-1/2 cups white flour

DIRECTIONS:  Dissolve yeast in warm (110-115°) water for about 2 minutes, then add powdered milk*, sugar, molasses, salt, oil, and  3 cups white flour. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add  remaining flour. Put dough in greased bowl.


Cover and allow to rise until double (about an hour). Punch down, divide in half, form loaves, and place in pans. Allow to rise until double. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes 2 loaves ( I usually make 3 smaller loaves).

*NOTE:  If you do not have powdered milk, then simply substitute 1 cup of the water with 1 cup of milk heated to 110-115 degrees.  That would make it 1-1/4 cups water and 1 cup milk.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP