Rachael Ray's Roasted Salsa with Mint and Cilantro

Wednesday, June 3, 2009


I think I got excited about this recipe because I saw it called for mint and cilantro, both of which happen to be in my very tiny garden right now. I made it to serve with a dinner of burritos and it was perfect on the burritos or by itself on tortilla chips. It was so quick and easy to make and so much better than the store bought varieties!
The ingredients:
4 plum tomatoes
1 jalapeno, halved and seeded
1 small onion, peeled and cut across into four thick slices
3-4 sprigs fresh mint, leaves stripped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
Salt, to taste

Place whole tomatoes, the seeded jalapeno, and onion slices skin side down on grill or in a dry pan over high heat.
Allow them to char on all sides,
then place in a food processor.
Pulse-grind with mint and cilantro leaves. Season with coarse salt to taste. Pour salsa in a strainer, drain off liquid, and transfer to a serving dish. I did not strain ours and it was still a good consistency. Serve with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican dish.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Heidi June 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

That looks so good! Do you think it would be as good without the mint? I am not a mint fan at all.

Kristen June 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

I was just thinking the same as Heidi...I think I'll try it mint-less too - love the idea of charring the veggies

teresa June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Ooooh, I love the roasted veggies! This looks awesome!

Rachel June 4, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

That's too funny...I was thinking the same thing as Heidi and Kristen (regarding the mint)! We're always looking for a little something to snack on before dinner, so I think this would be perfect!!!

Lara June 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

I had no idea that so many people didn't like mint. The mint is subtle in this, so I don't think that leaving it out would make that big of a difference.

Katy ~ June 4, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

LOL, I love mint, could go a long time without cilantro, however. But the salsa sounds so fresh, that I'd cut back on it just to say I used it. Grilled veggies YUM!

MaRiN June 4, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Wow, Mint?!! I've never had mint in salsa before. Homemade salsa is a staple in our house so maybe I'll make this one next. Thanks!

Karey June 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

mmmm Sounds great! I had never thought of roasting the veggies before I make salsa. I'll have to give that a try!

Rachel June 5, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

I have an award waiting for you on my blog :)

Anonymous,  June 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

oh man...complex blend of great flavors! love it!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP